scraping baddies from the yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer brown

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey All,
I read last night that its good to remove any scum from the surface of the yeast during its primary fermentation? I looked at mine last night it there was patches of broken scum (probably yeast cells?) on the surface of the yeast meringue, is this necessary? Im worried about removing it all as this is the actual yeast right? (Im using S-04)

Q2
I want to start re-using my yeast (dried s-04) but Im not sure where I need to take it from? Do I remove it from the surface while the primary fermentation is taking place or do I take it form the bottom once its finished? I tried taking the bottom stuff and washing it with sterile water but I didn't really work, I think they may have just been dead cells?

Thanks all!

Could be wrong but I have never heard if removing yeast while its fermenting. I wouldn't risk doing anything to the beer while it's fermenting as you may end up getting an infection , I'd leave it be.

I have heard of taking yeast from mess at the bottom of the fermenter once primary is complete and you move the beer to the next stage.

There is a guide on here somewhere for washing and storing yeast so you can re use it later. I'm using my phone at the moment so cannot find the link to it

My opinion, fiddling with it is bad. Every time you poke around in there you increase the risk of infection, so I'd just leave it.

On a side note, I once that it's good to add a tablespoon full of trub to your keg because it's so nutrient rich!

I have never heard if removing yeast while its fermenting...
Graham Wheeler's book refers to 'skimming off dark floccules and trub brought up with the yeast'. Personally, I never do as the previous two posts have pointed out, messing around with it risks infecion.

Breweries skim yeast from primary fermentation to reuse in later brews but I'd prefer to not mess too much with my beer while its fermenting. I have reclaimed and washed yeast from the trub with great results though.

When you do this you need to activate the yeast by making an appropriately sized starter a day or so before you want to use it.

I wait til I've bottled or kegged the ale then take some of the trub and pitch that directly into the next brew. I bottle/keg whilst boiling my next brew. Every Tues/Thurs depending if the previous ferment is over. The yeast is'nt waiting about then and theres always enough. I've only ever re-pitched up to three times. Not had a bad 'un yet!

Ok so Ill leave it alone as its not worth the chance of infection. Maybe Ill see if I can get the trub at the end.. There are a number of youtube links so Ill take a look again.

Thanks for all the help everybody, much appreciated ;)

You could double drop your beer ,after the first 24 hours or so of good fermentation syphon out of the first fv into another sterile one. Results in cleaner beer :thumb:

Latest posts

Back