Screwtop beer bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjohnl

Reaction score
Hi, I just purchased at me beer for the weekend, with the intention of re-using the bottles for my next brew.

I just noticed that they are screw top beer bottles, are these just regular bottle that can be capped again?

Cheers,

Mark

I don't think I've ever seen beer for sale in a screw top bottle.
[Edit]
Maybe I have, Carlesberg at football grounds, but I might be imagining that.

No they will not take a standard crown top if they have a thread on them also the tops are not as strong as a crown top beer bottle. Personally I would not re-use them you really do need crown top bottles unless you buy some of the plastic ones that take screw caps

Yeah, looks like a crown cap but twists off
1621452492069.png

Hi, I just purchased at me beer for the weekend, with the intention of re-using the bottles for my next brew.

I just noticed that they are screw top beer bottles, are these just regular bottle that can be capped again?

I use these for wine bottles i have reused them many times -

You can break the collar off if they do not fit the neck of the bottle the cap is designed to part company when you open the bottle.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...le-plastic-screw-caps-for-wine-bottles.56326/

These seem to be the norm on the continent and having acquired a collection of Perlembourg lager bottles I have used them for a number of brews with no problem at all. Just sanitise 'em and screw 'em back on again!

I’ve used budweisser screw cap bottles for my homebrew with no problems. I use normal 26mm crown caps and a hand capper. I was a bit nervous like you at first so i tried a couple of bottles at first with no problems, now i use them as a matter of course, they seal just fine and unscrew or uncap like normal.

I’ve used budweisser screw cap bottles for my homebrew with no problems. I use normal 26mm crown caps and a hand capper. I was a bit nervous like you at first so i tried a couple of bottles at first with no problems, now i use them as a matter of course, they seal just fine and unscrew or uncap like normal.
I have likewise had no issue yet re-using budlight bottles. Again, using 26mm crown caps in the usual way with my hand capper.

This is a recent Beer52 delivery.
The thread is a multistart.
Seemed not to have any 'screw-off' indication, it just looked like a standard crown cap. Which is how I removed it!
Only noticed the threads afterwards.
And it's Austrian. And was quite tasty.
IMG_20210520_140412.jpg
IMG_20210520_140428.jpg

This is another appalling American concept, isn't it? :laugh8:

The Novatwist caps are actually for wine bottles hence the sleeve but i thought they may be of use to the OP as they can be separated.

Does it really matte what caps the bottle as long as it keeps the beer carbonated and fresh?

Personally, I wouldn't be reusing bottles with twist off caps because they're made of very lightweight glass and shatter easily if over-primed or the beer picks up an infection (as I know from experience).

If I did, I definitely wouldn't reuse the cap as you won't get as tight a seal as you need. That's why they're crimped on when packaged. I guess if you're not planning on keeping the beer for more than a few weeks, they might be OK, but also if the caps are of the oxygen scavenging type, they're only single use.

You can also use any “ method traditional” fizzy wine bottles for beer but you need a 29 mm cap and capping tool.

Wouldn't that be a case of caps are cheap as chips and crimping is a lot quicker than screwing the more expensive screw caps on at the bottling plant.
That depends I guess. It could be the bottling plant fills both kinds of bottles or that the breweries don't want to give up the crown cap because of aesthetics, or simply down to cost.

However, I'd imagine that crown caps seal onto twist off bottles much better when crimped rather than twisted. Even if you use, say, a cloth over the cap to protect your hand when tightening it to get it tight enough, you run the risk of damaging the thread on the bottle as the caps don't have a corresponding thread and the crimp on the cap is metal. That'll at least cause some wear over time. Plus the oxygen scavenging lining of the caps won't work if they've dried out.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've only 6 in the shed so will maybe try them on my next brew to see how it goes

I have reused the lidl pilsner bottles a few times a bit fiddly getting cap on but it does work
I used normal caps and a bench capper

Latest posts

Back