Secondary Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abssm

Reaction score
Hi all, I knocked up a batch of cheeky vimto cider and I left in in the primary fermentation bucket for around ten weeks through a combination of laziness and things out of my control. Anyway it all seemed alright and brewed out at around 9.4%.
I added the priming sugar and bottled it but apart from a slight firming of the bottles they are not fizzing up at all and it all remains flat and too sweet. I am assuming I have killed the poor little yeasties and I want to add some more to each bottle to getting things on their merry way.
I am using Young's Cider Yeast in the individual sachets and am wondering what the best way to go about it is. Do I just add a pinch to each bottle or should I mix it up with a bit of water and add a few drops to each bottle as a solution?
Any pointers to the best direction will be greatfully received

Hi!
If you are using "plastic" bottles, did you make sure that the caps were fastened tightly?
Was the FV at full fermentation temperature for the full 10 weeks, or was it cooler?
How long have you left the bottles to carb up?

Hi yes, plastic bottles and brand new ones at that. Tops are screwed on as tight as I could. Never had a problem in the past with these. Temperature will have been constant throughout and pit has been in its bottles for five or six weeks now. I gave them all a bloody good shake about two weeks ago just to see if I could the little yeasties up. Still flat though 😥

Vimto has Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate in it. Also it will stay sweet as it has Sucralose and Acesulfame K sweeteners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. Boiled it for 20 mins before doing anything with it. I have been making this for years and never had this problem. It is off a recipe that is on this site. Search for it, it is fantastic. Will adding more yeast to my bottles work and if so what is the best way of adding it please. Also if the preservatives were working it would not have fermented during primary fermentation

Latest posts

Back