Secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie Parrish

Reaction score
I started 5 gallons of strawberry on Wednesday (8/12) got a S.G. of 1.103 when I added yeast Thursday (8/13) didnt see any fermentation activity untel saturday afternoon (8\15) its now reading 1.084 just wondering
what should I be checking for as far when to move to secondary fermentation iv ready many different things oh seen around day 5 is that 5 days from when I started, when I pitched the yeast, or when it finally started fermenting? Iv also read do it when the fruit sinks to the bottom and iv seen to do it when SG is 1.030 or less is that the day it hits 1.030 or after its stayed under 1.030 a few days

One more question I don't have a carboy yet won't be able to get one tell at least next weekend all I have now is an extra 5gallon primary fermenter but it does have a lide with airlock once time to transfer would it be best to wait tell I can get the carboy or use the bucket with lid? And if i use the bucket would it be best to move it soon as I get the carboy or wait tell next racking time

If you used fresh or frozen strawberries, you should rack it after 5 to 7 days. You need to remove the fruit pulp before it starts to go bad. I you didn't use a straining bag, you could wrap a straining bag around your siphon (sterilised first) , and leave the pulp behind.
If you used fruit juice (WOW) you don't need to have a secondary because it will be fermented really quickly (My last WOW took 10 days to ferment to SG 0.995, but I only brew 1 gallon batches).
If it is from a kit, you should follow the instruction to the letter.

If you used fresh or frozen strawberries, you should rack it after 5 to 7 days. You need to remove the fruit pulp before it starts to go bad. I you didn't use a straining bag, you could wrap a straining bag around your siphon (sterilised first) , and leave the pulp behind.
If you used fruit juice (WOW) you don't need to have a secondary because it will be fermented really quickly (My last WOW took 10 days to ferment to SG 0.995, but I only brew 1 gallon batches).
If it is from a kit, you should follow the instruction to the letter.
5 to 7 days from the vary being or from when fermentation started? It didnt start to ferment for almost e days after pitching yeast......I did use frozen strawberrys I had it in a bag but later found out a pillow case does work its to fine of aa mesh and blows up like a balloon I asked another forum about that and everyone told me to dump the bag in the must

With it being a large volume of must, it probably took 3 days to reach a volume of yeast to give signs of fermentation. Like I said I don't have experience with 25 litre batches.
If it took 3 days to show signs of fermenting, I'd take it out after 5 days after showing signs personally. That would be about 7 days total.
It's all a learning curve. I learn something new every time I brew. I write down in a spreadsheet everything I do so I can adjust the way I do it next time.
When you take the straining bag out, give it a gentle squeeze and see if pulp comes through it, if not you can give it a good squeeze, but if you are getting pulp come through I would leave squeezing it.

I use fruit in 25l batches and don't always siphon off the pulp to secondary. If it's close to finishing fermenting after 8 or 9 days I'll let it finish. If I think it' going to take more than 12 days to finish fermenting I'll take of the pulp at about the 8th day. Never had an issue with fruit going bad as it's sat in alcohol and covered by CO2

Back