Secondary fermenting question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicalBrew

Reaction score
Hi all

Just transferred my first attempt at homebrew from Primary FV to a pressure keg for secondary fermentation (wherry kit with Gervin ale yeast instead of the one supplied with the kit) .

I'm happy that the primary ferment was complete (ABV about 4.5% after 7 days but left in primary for 14 days anyway).

My question is - how clear should the beer be at this point because it was still quite cloudy?

LB

Just transferred? Not all that clear at this stage. A couple of weeks at room temp and a couple more in the cold and it should clear nicely. It may take a little longer if you've barrelled it.

Dave

Keep the keg at room temperature, around 20C, to carbonate. If you can then put it somewhere cool that would help it to clear more quickly.

Thanks guys - I'm having to brew in the garage, so I have put the pressure keg in the same area that I used for the FV and turned the target temperature range down a little so that it is being kept at 18-19ºC. I was planning to leave that for 2 weeks and then just move the keg to somewhere else in the garage, where the British weather should take care of chilling it down nicely :smile:

Thanks again for the reassurance - I was just worried that it was supposed to already be clear at this stage.

LB

It'll get better with time. Drinkable after 4 weeks, should be awesome after 6+ weeks :cheers:

Back