Separate demijohns?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmac1991

Reaction score
I currently have 6 gallons of elderberry wine on the go which now has to be transferred into an airtight container with an airlock fitted (it's currently in a big fermenting bucket, which isn't really airtight).

I have a reasonably large number of demijohns which I was recently given (thanks freecycle!). My question is this: is there any reason why I can't separate the wine into six different demijohns and mix them just before bottling?

Thanks
Calum

No reason whatsoever.

I've got 3 big batches on-the-go at the moment, including 5 gallons of Damson which is already in a Young's fermenter under airlock, and 5 gallons of mixed red fruits which will be strained tomorrow into another 5 gal fermenter. However, when it comes to first racking they will go into individual DJs. My large fermenters are only translucent and I can't see what's going on or how it's clearing.

Slight differences can occur between the DJs so I may blend at the time of bottling. I'm just as likely to bottle from separate DJs and label the wines A, B, C, etc. For example, I've just bottled 2 gallons of Peach from the same batch, Mrs. Mole preferred 15A while I preferred 15B, so I've kept them separate.

Latest posts

Back