September Homebrew Competition - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers, slightly later than planned (busy brewing stuff going on, watch this space) means I’m a bit later getting this months comp up and running.

So September is American Pale ales. Given I’m a week or so late I will accept entries up to the 7th of October and then judge on the Saturday the 8th.

As per the Hop Addition HB comp beers will be judged on falling within the Pale Ale BJCP boundaries of colour/bitterness and ABV and that’s it. After that your beer will be judged equally with all of the others and the best beer will win.

I plan to have some help and we will hopefully run some mini tables to find a best in show to make sure everyone’s is judged equally.

Hit me up if you want my address to enter. In the mean time get brewing or selecting whatever you have on tap or in bottle to enter and take the American pale ale crown for 2022.

Thanks for judging @Hoddy

I've got a Tropical Milkshake IPA ready to go if that fits within the style guidelines?

If so, PM me your address and I'll get it sent!

Cheers!

So is this strictly for American pale ales (BJCP 18B), or is a wider interpretation allowed, like the one earlier in the year.
I have a WC IPA that will be ready but this will fall outside of 18B

So is this strictly for American pale ales (BJCP 18B), or is a wider interpretation allowed, like the one earlier in the year.
I have a WC IPA that will be ready but this will fall outside of 18B
Depends how far you think it falls out by. If it’s an IBU or two over and a few SRM I’m not going to split hairs.
Like I said, judging will be based on a table basis and the “best” beer wins.

I've also got a WCIPA that just about squeezes into the 18b ranges for IBUs, ABV and SRM. But it's definitely more 21a than 18b in terms of flavour, body, etc. Would you be happy to accept that as an entry?

The first entry arrived yesterday. Thanks to @Mungri for the entry.

There’s still plenty of time to bottle a beer from a keg, or lift a bottle from your stash and enter it into the September comp.

Hit me up if you want to send in an entry.

So the winner is………

1st place : @dave_77
American amber
2nd place : @Hazelwood Brewery Butterfly affect
3rd place : @Hazelwood Brewery
Summer Lovin

Well done to all the entrants. I’m sending you your feedback forms now.
That was a pleasant surprise..only just checked this after seeing my score sheet.. wasn't expecting 1st place . Well done @Hazelwood Brewery and everyone else for entering.
Sent this beer to Brewcon so be interesting to compare notes.

Back