Competition schedule 2024

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As there are three comps where it is a single style (APA) how about one of them becomes Helles (I'm enjoying trying to nail a 'simple' style), or German as Matt says ?
Helles is for lager month as it covers all euro and new world lager beers and also Hybrid lagered beers.

APA - American style beers it has covered in the past outside of dark beers..so cream ale, American pale, American IPA, American red IPA and American Amber.

American Brown,porter and stout would fall into Dark beers and everything can be added to freestyle if your brewing schedule doesn't fit for these months.

I think all of those lager style beers apart from Hefe would go in the lager month as it's for all lager and hybrid styles..lagered beers ..Hefe would be best in freestyle
As I said before, yeah they could fit elsewhere... I think my issues are v
(a) It doesn't make sense to me to do dark beers in the summer (I don't think I'm alone in this)
(b) How does something like Hefeweizen get judged against, say, Russian Imperial Stout and Double IPA, all of which could conceivably be entered into Freestyle.

We have specific competitions for British, Belgian and American style so why not German & Czech?

(a) It doesn't make sense to me to do dark beers in the summer (I don't think I'm alone in this)
(b) How does something like Hefeweizen get judged against, say, Russian Imperial Stout and Double IPA, all of which could conceivably be entered into Freestyle.

We have specific competitions for British, Belgian and American style so why not German & Czech?
Hmmmm, still don't think it works..I get your point as I have the same argument with myself 🤣.
But your basically saying that Hefe doesn't fit anywhere..when all the other German styles fit with the lager category.

When I judged the freestyle category I separated them as closely as I could to similar styles, colour or abv..then judged them to style in groups. Then tried to decide based on how close to style and quality of overall brew what the top 3 were ..wasn't ideal but everyone got feedback based on style guidelines.

Could maybe add other styles using phenolic yeast strains to the Belgian category?

Its a judge to style type comp not beer v beer.

If you are not drinking dark beer in the summer, try it!!!

A cold dark lager in the sun is a joy.

Couldn't get enough KarlovaÄŤko Crno on my holiday in Croatia last year.

Also Tropical Stout is surely best enjoyed in the warm weather.

Still a few months free
If needs must, then I'm sure I can put myself through the ordeal of drinking more free beer in the name of science and take the British ales, bitters and milds. But two comps in as many months is a bit greedy so only volunteer if no-one else wants to do it

I was trying to work out the level of expertise needed for judging, so I guess this sums it up 👍🤣

I suspect I am an outlier and that most of the judges have no formal training. It really isn't required for these competitions, it's more a bit of friendly fun than anything serious. There are plenty of BJCP competitions out there if people want that sort of thing.

Back