SG going in the right direction???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozzidrozzi

Reaction score
• Bramley Apple Cider
• 1250g sugar
• 1 x sachet of Cider years

I've only tested the SG twice in the last 4 days and its barley changed but changed from 1.040 to 1.039/1.038. I added the yeast two weeks ago tomorrow and fermentation started approximately 2 days after that so its been fermenting for about 11 days, there are still small bubbles fizzing on the surface.

Should the SG be going in the direction of lower numbers? I thought it would go the other way.

I also pulled off a mouthful and it tastes quite sharp.

After 2 weeks I would expect it to be close to 1.000 so something has gone wrong. What was the SG before adding the yeast?

That is the problem Simon, I didn't test it before i put in the yeast!! Forgive my ignorance but am i right in saying that you test the gravity pre adding yeast to see what the density is (indicating approx alc vol) then post fermentation the gravity should be back to 1.000 (same density as water)

Yes thats correct except the 1.000 is approx as the yeast may leave a little sugar behind or if its totally dry (most likely) the alcohol water mix may make the gravity just below 1.

To be honest its not been a very lively fermentation, the airlock has not really been that active, whereas my 5ltr container have been extremely lively albeit different apples. The temp has been between 19 and 23 degrees, would that be a tad on the warm side and would that be a reason for the SG not moving much or is it possibly the cider yeast hasn't done its job?.....Soooo many Questions, Sorry!

My best guess is the yeast never started no idea why, the temps not ideal but not high enough to stop the yeast.

To be fair, it is still fizzing so i should maybe wait until its fully ceased fermenting before seeing what the SG is

You could try some yeast nutrient. You can get it in wilkinsons but if you've got no chance of getting any you could grate up half a vitamin tablet, put some boiling water on it to cleanse it, then get that in.

Back