3 Weeks to Long for Fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozzidrozzi

Reaction score
I commenced with a 25 litre barrel of pressed apple juice (Bramleys) that had 1 sachet of Cider yeast added, 1250g sugar and has been in a room with a temp between 20 and 15 degrees.

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that its been fermenting for and it is a slight fizzing still on the surface. Should it have stopped fermenting by now and is 3 weeks normal?

Second question is.....if I made a second barrel and added 2 x sachets of yeast with all of the above the same apart from different apples would it make a difference or would it not be a good idea? What would more yeast do if anything?

1. Yes, three weeks or more is quite normal for cider.

2. More yeast will slightly accelerate the process (more yeast means it gets to act sooner) but temperature is just as critical in how long a brew will take to ferment.

Hope this helps.

3 weeks is fine ...... but interesting decision to add all that sugar ....... what strength are you aiming for ? and did you take an SG reading for the juice before sugar was added ? My SG readings this year pointed to 8% + juice so no need to add anything for me (in fact i watered some down). I heard the hot dry summer increased the sugar in the apples.....

I think you've made apple wine!
Time doesn't really matter - it'll finish when it finishes. I've had beer take 6 weeks which admittedly is a bit unusual.

I just followed the instructions that came with the Cider making kit from "Home Brew Online" it’s my first ever attempt. It says to add 500 grams per 10 liters which will give around 8% strength. I have ordered a Hydrometer jar to test the SG so if I'm at 1.000 then I would imagine I can bottle. It also says to add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle.... I am assuming this is to change it from still cider to fizzy cider?

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 55
.... I am assuming this is to change it from still cider to fizzy cider?

Yes. It's a "moveable feast" as they say. CO2 pressure generated from the fermentation of the 2g to 5g of sugar stops anything from getting into the bottle and ruining the brew.

However, if like me you don't like a "gassy" drink then putting in the lower (2g) amount of sugar will still pressure up the bottle.

No matter how much or how little sugar you put into each bottle, it will still require a couple of weeks in a warm (20*C) environment to carbonate.

Back