Shooters?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog Breath

Reaction score
Known to inhabit various areas of West Kent
Do any of you noble members shoot? Or even some of you not so noble members (I'm sure there must be one or two). Mrs Breath & I both go clay shooting, although not as regular as we would like. I also like to take advantage of nature's larder and shoot for the pot (rabbits, woodpigeon and game (when given the chance on the latter)).

In my arsenal I have my trusty Air Arms S410 carbine and my Beretta Ultralight 12g. Mrs Breath uses a Silver Pigeon 5 20g. For the record I used to regularly post on a shooting forum but it got to the point where there were too many gung-ho, over compensating, macho types who generally give the decent folk whom shoot a bad name with their views on shooting. etc.

I'd be interested in learning how many kindered are on here.

Dog Breath.

Sorry mate shootings not my thing, however I did shoot a 12 point Red Dear Stag when I used to work on an estate in Scotland and I would regularly go out stalking but not to shoot.

I do love venison though. A piece braised with my elderberry port and elderberry stout would be rather nice.

Hi DB,i shoot all year on mod land in Salisbury.we release about 4-500 ex laying pheasants each year and shoot approx 8 saturdays on pheasant.We are fortunate that we are bordered on 3 sides by other shoots so we naturally get some of their stray birds as well.i also shoot pigeon at least once a week along with rabbits-crows and also trap magpies in the larsen traps.occasionally when we get fox problems i will go out lamping with the rifle.some of the members cull the deer that are abundant and as an ex butcher i normally get the task of gralloching etc.when we shoot the wife beats and my son usually shoots with me.Happy Hunting :cheers: Ken.btw i shoot with a beretta sp sc,hatsan semi auto for pigeon, browning ultraxs for clays and a mixture of 4 older english sbs.

i used to hunt with ferrets which is fun i aslo had an air rifle had a falcon fn19 which was a pretty good bunny blaster not bothered for years tbh no land available

I agree, land can be very hard to come by to shoot on, especially if the landowner doesn't know you. I got a permission the other day from a farmer and his neighbour for rabbits & pigeons. They're fruit farmers so I don't think foxes are too much of an issue for them. I helped him out as he needed some Landlord Gas Safety notices done PDQ.

I was looking at getting a Browning Ultra XS before I got my Ultralight but they guy in the shop wouldn't do a deal for cash (tight wad). It was a nice gun and fitted me nicely. The only other one which felt as good was the Ultralight. The only downside with that one is I feel the kick more when using a 32g cartridge or above. 28g I can do 2 rounds of a 100 bird shoot comfortably. The Browning would have been easier o nthe shoulder but a bit more of a lump to carry around. I think the trade off in weight to kick is about 10% (10% more kick for every 1lb lighter I think).

Like I said, I like to shoot for the pot. I'll generally shoot maybe 2 rabbits a night (if I'm lucky) when I go out which is enough as I only have room for 2 in a bucket when I brine them. I'll get more for anyone who wants them but most folk don't seem to know what to do with them if doesn't come in a little plastic tray and wrapped in cling film.

I was at the Kent County Show on Sunday and there was a stall there selling whole rabbits for £3.90. I've seen them at West Malling Farmers Market for about a £5 :shock:

I do love my Game though. Favourite has to be Mallard

I justed to trap at the Stonely Shooting Ground and at the town and country show and three day event
Never owned a shot gun but have used other members guns

worse trap

springing teal!!!! hated being in front of the gun :eek:

I'd love to shoot again, used to go out once a week with a mate and pick up half a dozen rabbits each trip, enough to last a weeks dinners. But friend moved on and lost contact with farmer.
Looking at finding a new local farmer for somewhere to put some more bees so might get to find some new land in the process. And get my firearm cert and a nice .22 rim fire rifle.

When I get a chance to get out I shoot air rifle, shotgun and rim and centre fire rifles. love it especially game shooting unfortunately it is either expensive or difficult to come by game shooting especailly as we are so close to London. But you do get to find all the good fruit bushes ;)

Just found this on another forum

D8PBKB5G0.jpg

clicky

That would keep you in sausages for a few months

I bet the guides were more scared of the kid with a .50 pistol than they were of the boar

I'd love to bag some rabbits for the freezer, I've no idea where I could go shooting round my way.

However, assuming I could find a willing farmer - is an air rifle suitable for small game like rabbit and pigeon? If so, is there a certain power etc that is required? I know there are plenty of cr*p rifles on sale, presumably one would neeed something a bit higher up the scale?

Also, what else is potential dinner material?

Thanks.

disco_monkey79 said:
I'd love to bag some rabbits for the freezer, I've no idea where I could go shooting round my way.

However, assuming I could find a willing farmer - is an air rifle suitable for small game like rabbit and pigeon? If so, is there a certain power etc that is required? I know there are plenty of cr*p rifles on sale, presumably one would neeed something a bit higher up the scale?

Also, what else is potential dinner material?

Thanks.

Air rifles have to be under 12lb/foot unless on a fire arms certificate, so whilst you could shoot a number of things realistically you will probably have to limit yourself to squirril, rat, rabbit as clean kill range is only ot to about 40yds. As a general rule they must be killed to protect crops from damage.

Yeah. I'm back in the Game :party:
Got permissions from Farmer and wife. Off looking at guns again. Can't wait to taste my first buuny again that I shot, not one the butcher got in for me :D

I only shoot once or twice a year on beaters days , but I'm out 3-5 days a week in the shooting season on pheasant and partridge shoots beating with my 2 spaniel bitches.
I'm collecting an 8 week old ESS bitch pup next week from a friend who has bred her . Her Sire is a diploma winner in last seasons ESS championship and her dam a novice FT winner.My mate reckons she's a real livewire.
I'm looking forward to training a pup again , the first one for over 4 years ,I'll have to find my running shoes out again!

Pearlfisher said:
I'll have to find my running shoes out again!

I have one who is 14 (just a pet) and he still pulls when he is on a mission.

The rest of the time he sleeps

Latest posts

Back