Short bree

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkieboy

Reaction score
Ey up, looking at doing a good ipa for my next brew, wanting either a good double ipa or a way to get a standard one to around 7/9%? Been told an easy way is to reduce the liquid going in? Any help would be great

Higher tolarenace yeast, a yeast starter, boiling off wort to concentrate it. Adding more fermentables.

Just a few I can think of. Some people add vodka or a grain spirit to bump up ABV never gone down that road myself though.

Have a look around for a recipe that specifies that abv rather than try and amend a recipe for something different.

Essentially you need a higher gravity wort, and a yeast that will tolerate that strength of alcohol.

You could get the higher gravity wort by concentrating it down, but it would be easier to just the appropriate amount of grain or extract to get the gravity you need.

If youre using kits as the base people generally don't recommend brewing them too short as the bitterness will be pushed higher; the concentrate will have been hopped to say 23L but you'll be getting that much bitterness in a smaller brew.

Back