Shortcut

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fready

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to shorten the brewing to bingeing process?
I have: After brewing a beer kit, instead of the usual secondary fermentation/bottle conditioning, I just bottle it temporarily into 2 ltr pop bottles, and then pour into 1 ltr bottles, that can be pumped with Co2.
It’s a solution, but is it a good solution?
I welcome any feedback.

It has been done plenty of times but usually with kegs.
You syphon the beer into a corny keg then force carbonate by rolling the keg with the gas line attached.
It does make the beer drinkable quicker but you will never beat the time of letting the beer mature before drinking as that is when it improves dramatically whether bottling or kegging therefore you will be drinking a inferior beer most times.
TIME is your friend in beer making.
Ps welcome to the forum

I didn’t know what a ‘corny keg’ was, and had to look it up. After watching ‘YouTube’ videos on it, I was left with the impression that it was too time consuming, finicky, and too expensive. The initial outlay for a 17 ltr container was prohibitive, and that was without all the gauges, pipes, and chemicals.

this is a very timely post for me. i used to regularly go from brew day to drinking in 17 days. 2 weeks primary 3 days force carb but what the baron said is absolutely true, the keg gets best around two weeks and then just gets better til you pour the last pint. just have a solid pipeline and you dont need to force things in terms of time.
but in terms of the soda bottles i just started kegging in 2.5 and 3.5 liter amber PET barrel bottles with kegland carb caps and tee pieces. the price is ridiculously cheap. after sourcing the right bottles a 3.5 liter keg costs me 6 bucks per bottle and the tee piece and carb caps are $4 each. thats 18$ for the initial keg and then i can just get bottles for 6$ and switch them out when the tapped one runs dry. i added a soda stream, miniregulator and various taps tubes and duotight connections. the initial outlay for my system is very cheap and works very well so far. its also very small and can fit on there side in a regular kitchen fridge.
i didnt make the switch to these PET growler/kegs for the speed (although i have noticed that the smaller volumes carb much quicker then the bigger kegs.) , i switched due to the price. i wanted to age stouts in kegs and didnt see myself laying out 50 to 100 per keg that would sit in my cellar and age not even being used other than for conditioning vessels. this system fits me very well so far.
theres a lot of bonus to these bottles. see through kegging is nice, price, small footprint (they fit in any larder fridge, no drilling or cutting needed), worse comes to worse if you cant clean them you toss em in recycle bin.

i actually just got a 4.3 cu ft fridge to fit the 3.5 liter bottles today.

1694046633594.png

Attachments

• 1694046476739.png
    1694046476739.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1694046494814.png
    1694046494814.png
    663.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1694046735307.png
    1694046735307.png
    357 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts