Shouting loudest means nothing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twogunrocky

Reaction score
So, what have you ever done?
Apart from typing on a keyboard getting annoyed and trying to convince someone to your house of thought, have you ever marched, or donated more than time to something?...... something that's made a difference?

I'm no hero, but I've been donating platelets every 2 weeks for over 15 years.
I just find it ridiculous that people argue over something they have no control over.
I'm sure I'm not alone in helping people.

Last edited:
OK, so why don't you ever see adverts for blood donation, even more to the fact, adverts for platelet donation?

Platelets & blood donations save more lives for families that have children going through chemotherapy and blood disorders than begging adverts for money ever will.... if it weren't for the likes of yourself and others giving their time to give blood and helping selflessly we'd be in a sad state, and the blood banks are always running dry.

So why aren't there adverts on TV for blood donation?

You used to see blood donation adverts in the 70's and 80's on t.v, but now it's just begging bollox..... money takes a precedent over life. It's astounding!
We too support the animal charities Clint

As strange post, the subtleties of which may be lost on me but the author seems to want to belittle others' efforts. You donate platelets, good for you. Others, myself included regularly donate blood. I support several charities that have personal meaning to me. I donate to ABF The Soldiers' Charity every year in memory of my father who was a great supporter of theirs. I also support other organisations but fully respect the rights of others to either not donate or support their own causes even if their views don't match mine (with obvious exceptions for extreme views etc). Oh, I also supported the wider community via 27 years in the Army and another 8 in the police.

Failed the platelets at the first hurdle but 30 blood donations done, might be over now too as failed the blood test for the 31st a couple of weeks ago. Daughter has type 1 diabetes so sort out a 12 mile country walk each year for JRDF. Also sign a fair number of online petitions, no idea if it does any good but it's cheap. Don't bother writing to my MP as he's only interested in undermining the council through minor local traffic issues.

The uk blood bank have a cost per unit and charge hospitals etc for the amount used, a bit of internal market policies if you will. I don't consider it a big deal I just assumed the blood bank didn't have a charging mechanism given the public donate free of charge.

They also have a warehouse of eyes in the Bristol area. That freaked me out , I couldn't work for an organisation where I might have to visit a warehouse of eyes out of hours 😱. I did apply for a job with the service but withdrew once I discovered that.

Like Dev, I, too, find this a very odd thread and I wonder what point the OP is trying to make. Bravo on the platelet thing, but each to his or her own.

Jesus christ, you people will construct an argument from nothing, which really compounds my post.... my point really is WHY DO YOU NOT SEE BLOOD DONATION ADVERTS ON TV?

Jesus christ, you people will construct an argument from nothing, which really compounds my post.... my point really is WHY DO YOU NOT SEE BLOOD DONATION ADVERTS ON TV?
Well that wasn't clear from your first post. The blood people do the rounds here regularly and signs go up in the villages a week before so that people can come and give blood. It seems to work. Don't know anything about platelets so can't comment. Is there a shortage in the UK? If there is and it was reported in the media, I'm sure big-hearted folk like yourself would come and give.

In Wales there are a lot of adverts from the Welsh Blood Service on Facebook. I don't know about TV adverts, I rarely watch it.

I thought your post was about what do people do "Apart from typing on a keyboard getting annoyed" which is a good subject for discussion.

I didn't see a mention of TV adverts in your op

Latest posts

Back