Simcoe APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger the dog

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed this today, it's based on a recipe in Jamil / John Palmer's Brewing Classic styles with a couple of substitutions for what I had in stock :-

No pictures I'm afraid - I'll try harder next time :oops:

In the mash tun

MO pale malt 5900g (should have been 6200 - that's all I had !)
Munich malt 410g
Torrified wheat 275g (should have been wheat malt)
Crystal 200g

The crystal is in place of victory malt that I've never heard of or seen over here

90 min. mash @ 67°C

Batch sparged & the first addition filled the MT to the brim - I managed to spill some hot water on my hand whilst moving the tun to the 'run-off' position. Good job the kids were at school :evil: :nono:

Anyhoo, a 60 minute boil followed with :-

Simcoe 12.3% A.A. 24g 60 mins
Cascade 6.3% A.A. 9g 10 mins
Centennial 7.2% A.A. 11g 10 mins
Cascade 6.3% A.A. 16g steeped @ 80°C
Centennial 7.2% A.A. 21g steeped @ 80°C

These were all hop plugs from Ross in Aus. & I used my 'Hop-sock' for the first time which kept most of the greenery within it's rubber johnny-esque confines

The downer was that there was no hop bed to filter out the large amount of break material so most of that's now in the FV.
I left about 3 litres of wort in the boiler along with the last of the trub & ended up with 21 litres @ 1.068 :eek:
That would have been far too strong for a wuss like me so I added water to 25 litres & it's still 1.058

Two 12g packets of US-05 were duly pitched & it's now tucked-up in tha garage next to an empty grain bin - must get up to Leyland soon :P

Great to see you post a brewday thread :cool:

What copper finings did you use, I've been finding that when i use protofloc if i transfer a lot of break i get cauliflower floating on top of my beer :?

Latest posts

Back