Simple Golden Amarillo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doyley

Reaction score
My last two brews have been milds, and while they were very good I felt I wanted something completely different for today's brew.

Maris Otter 9 lbs
Wheat malt 1lb

Amarillo (9.3) 1 oz
Challenger (6.5) 1 oz
(First wort hops)
1/2 oz Amarillo added at end of boil before 30 minute rest.

Mashed for 1hr 40 mins with 5.2 stabilizer added.

Now boiling away merrily, (will add whirlfloc tablet soon). After 90 mind boil and rest I shall run off into the FV with 8 oz demerara sugar and top up to 5 gallons When cooled I will add Gervin yeast.

No disasters so far, The plastic brewing spoon broke during doughing in but luckily I had a spare. Not like my last brew when I left the tap on the mash tun open and when adding the grain found myself paddling! :eek: I have brewed similar recipes before and they have been 1st class. I really like Amarillo.

Sorry about the Imperial measures but I have been using them for years and am quite happy with them. (If I bring 2 pints of water for every pound of grain to 75 degrees then the mash nearly always comes out at 66)

I've just done a very similar brew doyley....minus the Challenger.
My local micro uses Amarillio in a lot of their beers.....I think they taste great.

Hope your brew turns out good :thumb:

What is your local micro brewery called, Mark? I shall have to look out for them at festivals.

Latest posts

Back