Skin on Zinfandel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nasty feeling I'm not going to like the responses to this. . .

Started a six bottle Zin rose from a Solomon Grundy kit last Wednesday in a small Vin Classe bucket, which I had hoped would be a nice surprise for the daughter over Christmas.

Fermented brilliantly, settled down on Monday, Giving it two days, I checked yesterday and found a nice aroma and SG c998. Added the CHITOSAN sachet , swirling gently for ten seconds and left it overnight as instructions say "Leave to clear".

When I checked this morning, there is a viscous red "growth" across the entire surface of the wine. No bubbles, and still smells fruity.

Value any guidance.

Apologies for not attaching this in the first place.

The "mat" covered the whole surface, but I have teased a small hole in it to show something of the content underneath.

Hope it helps?

Ochimus

171221 Zinfandel skin.jpg

At .998 it probably hadn't finished did you add stabiliser? It looks like it's still fermenting.

Did you rack it and Degas's before adding finings?

I hadn't racked it off, but your question sent me back to the instructions, Fortunately memory was right, as it said to rack off only after everything had been added and the brew has been left for a few days to become "quite bright".

At which point I realised that I "missed" a few critical steps and "jumped straight to the end",

I added the Chitosan after the fermentation stopped for two days, omitting the Stabiliser, degassing, adding the ADD BACK or KIESELSOL, all of which are staring at me from the box!

Issue now is whether the wine is salvageable? Or is it a quick trip to the sink, sterilise frantically, but another kit and try and do it properly this time?

Appreciate any guidance, however unpalatable.

And I'm sure She Who Must Be Obeyed will agree that the "trifling expenditure" of a wasted kit is a valuable "learning curve" - well, that's how I'll explain it, and it is the Season of Goodwill. . .

Ochimus

I added the Chitosan after the fermentation stopped for two days, omitting the Stabiliser, degassing, adding the ADD BACK or KIESELSOL, all of which are staring at me from the box!

Assuming the add back is some kind of flavouring -

I would rack to a Demijohn, add stabiliser, *degas then i would get some finings from a local home brew shop (as you have already used the first part of the ones you got in the kit) if you can get KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear IT great if not just get any and follow the instructions.

*by covering the DJ neck with a clean hand and shaking the DJ then releasing the CO2 several times until it no longer hisses.

If you want to experiment in the future with cheap ingredirnts that make great tasting wine have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Chippy,

Many thanks for the hopeful response.

Have obtained the finings, so will be racking off and adding the Stabiliser this evening, everything else on Monday, and hopefully by the New Year will have six palatable bottles to offer!

And will certainly try some of the blends on the link you provided.

Thanks again

Ochimus

You put the finings in as soon as you have added the stabiliser and degassed there is no reason to leave it days before adding it.

Back