Skinners Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betty Stogs is a good beer but it’s not a marketing success having the picture of her on the beer. It harks back to old men back from the harvest having a beer in their local, not what young people want.

The Old Dairy Brewery also calling in administrators.
Yeah, just saw that. Awful.

E3F01C22-C516-4495-92E0-12775818B7AA.jpeg

Betty Stogs is a good beer but it’s not a marketing success having the picture of her on the beer. It harks back to old men back from the harvest having a beer in their local, not what young people want.
Spot on. A lot of success is all about marketing, not about quality of beer. This is not about brexit or politics, it’s about current drinking trends. “Old dairy brewery” or “Betty Stogs” is not going to appeal to the younger generation of craft beer efficianados who want NEIPA or Sours, Punk IPA or Beavertown with fancy artwork on their cans.

One of my local breweries, West Berkshire Brewery is rebranding as “Renegade Brewing” and has switched from bottles with just text, to cans with graffiti on them. Fair enough but I’m at least part of their target market and I think it’s ridiculous.

Last edited:
One of my local breweries, West Berkshire Brewery is rebranding as “Renegade Brewing” and has switched from bottles with just text, to cans with graffiti on them. Fair enough but I’m at least part of their target market and I think it’s ridiculous.
Shame I really enjoy their Maggs Magnificent Mild and Dr Hexter Healer (even Mister Chubbs is nice) hopefully even after rebranding they will keep these excellent beers.

Shame I really enjoy their Maggs Magnificent Mild and Dr Hexter Healer (even Mister Chubbs is nice) hopefully even after rebranding they will keep these excellent beers.
Yes I hope so too, for now at least they’re still available. I’m a fan of the Maharaja IPA too.

Renegade has been their "craft" line for a good few years.

They were sold last year after some unsavoury business involving the previous owner. Perhaps the rebranding is more to get away from the associations with the main brewery name?

Very sad news, lost many an evening enjoying Stogs and Knocker over the years! both excellent beers, hopefully the Old Ale House will stay open. Hope someone can step and save the jobs in Truro, sorely needed.

Bad times and thoughts go those facing the closure. I like their beers. As expressed in the thread increasingly difficult to compete in the "craft" section of supermarkets that like expensive repetitive NEIPA, APA IPA DIPA etc. Some nice beers but I do tire of IPA's now. As another thread shows, the British Bitter and "old-man" beers are not the big sellers at present. Orange squash blackberry pastry sour may be fun to try but at £5 a can I will pass. A bitter will be better priced and nice from start to finish, not just a sip. Not trendy though. Sigh....

Bad times and thoughts go those facing the closure. I like their beers. As expressed in the thread increasingly difficult to compete in the "craft" section of supermarkets that like expensive repetitive NEIPA, APA IPA DIPA etc. Some nice beers but I do tire of IPA's now. As another thread shows, the British Bitter and "old-man" beers are not the big sellers at present. Orange squash blackberry pastry sour may be fun to try but at £5 a can I will pass. A bitter will be better priced and nice from start to finish, not just a sip. Not trendy though. Sigh....
This reminds me of a blog post from a few years ago on the decline of ‘big porter’

https://zythophile.co.uk/2016/05/08/will-big-lager-one-day-go-the-same-way-as-big-porter/
I found it rather interesting the notion that people don’t want to drink the beer that their dads drank so Porter gave way to Mild which gave way to Bitter and then onto Larger.

This reminds me of a blog post from a few years ago on the decline of ‘big porter’

https://zythophile.co.uk/2016/05/08/will-big-lager-one-day-go-the-same-way-as-big-porter/
I found it rather interesting the notion that people don’t want to drink the beer that their dads drank so Porter gave way to Mild which gave way to Bitter and then onto Larger.
Porter 🤤 a few still appear from time to time. Had some lovely examples from Scandinavia and Croatia in a beer club box the wife gave me. Not really a trendy drink, too much flavour for newbie converts but that's why we make our own isn't it 👍

Porter 🤤 a few still appear from time to time. Had some lovely examples from Scandinavia and Croatia in a beer club box the wife gave me. Not really a trendy drink, too much flavour for newbie converts but that's why we make our own isn't it 👍
If you want to brew a porter I’d be very happy to recommend Lee Immins’ “Bring your daughter to the Porter”. I haven’t actually made it myself yet but I’ve had some of his and it’s probably the best I’ve had. Multi-award winning too.

https://londonamateurbrewers.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Bring_Your_Daughter_to_the_Porter

Latest posts

Back