Sloe Berries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BazzaK

Reaction score
New to all this and just wondered if anyone out there has bought Sloe Berries on Ebay before? should I buy fresh or frozen? Thank you for any advice.

New to all this and just wondered if anyone out there has bought Sloe Berries on Ebay before? should I buy fresh or frozen? Thank you for any advice.
Get out and pick them? There's so many around. Having said that whilst they are ripening early this year it's still a bit early

Get out and pick them? There's so many around. Having said that whilst they are ripening early this year it's still a bit early
Mmmm with so many Staycationers out all the local nice places I have picked myself before have been stripped so haven't been lucky so wanted to buy some before I miss out...the family love the Sloe Gin at Christmas

Dried are pretty good. Immerse them in just enough warm water to cover them overnight.
Most of the water will be absorbed, so just use the whole lot, the water will be minimal, and have lots of flavour...

My gut feeling I'd say frozen above fresh. Don't you want to freeze then anyway to help release the flavours?

I have one growing over into the garden from a field, loads of worms in the berries though. Freezing them makes the worms come out so you can see which ones to throw in bin. asad.

My gut feeling I'd say frozen above fresh. Don't you want to freeze then anyway to help release the flavours?

I have one growing over into the garden from a field, loads of worms in the berries though. Freezing them makes the worms come out so you can see which ones to throw in bin. asad.
The worms don't sound great not sure about protein with the gin - I think I am going to go fresh first off just to see what they are like then as Jim mentioned freeze myself to see if any worms

The worms don't sound great not sure about protein with the gin - I think I am going to go fresh first off just to see what they are like then as Jim mentioned freeze myself to see if any worms
I was just saying that our sloe bush has a lot of worms in them, I'm not sure if they're a common thing or rare. On the berry there's a tiny pin hole that you can barely see but freezing them makes some kind of gel come out of the hole and also some of the worms come out during freezing.

Still made some nice sloe gin with them last year.

Yes. There are bumper crops everywhere it seems. How do you tell then when they are ready for picking?
We picked a lot yesterday, much earlier than usual. If there is a slight give when you squeeze the berry and if they come away easily when you pull at them then they are ready.
Freezing them helps break them down and negates the need to prick them before adding them to the gin.

I'm sure I read somewhere that sloe berries should not be picked until after the first frost, late September, early October time. Is that right?
That's a myth. We have loads of sloe bushes on our farm but if you waited until even mid September the birds would have had the lot. I've been picking them already. Time to pick is when they go from being hard to soft when you squeeze them. Put them in the freezer after picking, this ruptures the cell membranes so they release their juices more easily afterwards.

Handy tip for 'pricking' sloes if you've not frozen them ....

Lay them out on a kitchen board, grab a cheese grater, then roll it across the sloes with the fine 'pimply' side down thumb.

That's a myth. We have loads of sloe bushes on our farm but if you waited until even mid September the birds would have had the lot. I've been picking them already. Time to pick is when they go from being hard to soft when you squeeze them. Put them in the freezer after picking, this ruptures the cell membranes so they release their juices more easily afterwards.

No evidence to support this theory but I always thought that if the berries are left on the bush well into Autumn they'd ripen more and develop a type of "noble rot" similar to grapes left on the vine later. They do tend to shrivel slightly if left. You're correct though in that if you leave it too late either the birds eat them or other human foragers gather them ashock1. Left it too late last year so don't want to miss out again.

It'll vary no doubt with where you live. I was a bit shocked when we moved here and found how early the sloes ripen. Just picked some more this morning - they're perfectly ripe here now. A bit of a clue is that when you pull a berry off, others are dropping off from the slight shaking of the branches.

Just got fresh not frozen berries from an eBay supplier they were all nicely washed and packed so ready to rewash will try the pricking with one lot and the grater on another and they will go into the freezer tonight thanks for all the advice guys

I've just made up my damson gin for this year. I only have one tree I know about locally, I normally need to pick most of the low hanging fruit for 5lbs, this year I was able to leave plenty on the tree. It is definitely bumper crop damson, slow, and probably plum this year.

I normally pick this time of year, gives 3 months before xmas presents, frost or not put it in freezer. I put the fruit in hop bags and steep with sugar in the gin, I do not look to break down the fruit other than freezing. Easy to remove at end of process, and very clear.

Latest posts

Back