Slow to ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I'm brewing a bitter from extract and steeped grains. After two and a half days in the FV there's not much sign of life. I think fermentation is happening, just not at the rate I'd expect. I'd usually expect to see condensation in the inside of the lid and a big thick krausen. The lid has swelled up a little and there's a small krausen but that's about it. I used 04 English ale yeast, 1 can of pale extract and approx 1kg of steeped grains. Do we suppose all is well. If not, how can I tell if it's stuck and remedial action needs to be taken?

If you have a krausen and the temperature is ok, I'd just leave it alone. Once it has finished you can see if it has stuck by checking the gravity.

Can you tell us a little more about your ingredients and recipe? 1kg of steeped grains added to a can of LME sounds high, although not if there was some pale malt in there that you mashed rather than steeped? Adjunct grains normally make up max 10% of the grain, I've pushed it to 15% but sound like you're nearer 50%.

I was going to ask what yeast you've used but as you've said 04 that's usually a fast-starting yeast. Did you pitch it dry or rehydrate? If rehydrated and the temp was >5C of the wort you could have shocked it. And what's your overal temp, cold houses can slow down fermentation this time of year unless you have temp control.

At least you have a krausen and therefore activity, and IainM says just keep the temp up.

Forgot to add, there was 500g of dried malt extract in there as well. I don't think that 1kg of steeped grains is that unusual. Other recipes I've done have called for about the same. They weren't mashed, they were steeped for half an hour in about 13 pints of water at 150F. The yeast was dried. Thinking back, I may not have aereated the wort adequately.

Back