Slow wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
hi all
My all malt beer kit is taking a long time to get down to target fg. I can live with that but the wort as gone from a nice frothy top to flat as a pancake. Question! Should I add some yeast or leave well alone? Ps this my first all malt
Thanks for any advice

That "nice frothy" drops back into the beer which is normal. It's called krausen.
How many days have you been fermenting? What is your original gravity for the batch? What temp are you fermenting at?
To answer your question without further info, don't add yeast just yet.

Edit: Just some more info that may be useful. When a beer is obviously fermenting, leave it for two weeks without opening the FV. If nothing else, you're exposing your beer to less oxygen.

Last edited:
Leave it alone! It is normal for the froth (krausen) to go down after a few days. It is only usually there for about a day for me.

How long has it been fermenting?

Hi
Og was 1062 and now it’s been 1020 for three days. It’s been fermenting for 12 days at 21c instruction’s say fg1014. Could it be stuck
Thanks for your reply’s there much appreciated

What you did sounds right. I don't think it's stuck to where you would do anything else at this stage. In other words, what was available to ferment was fermented. You could let sit for a couple more days, check the gravity one last time and then bottle if the gravity remains at 1.020.
Last question: was 1.062 what you were supposed to get according to the instructions?

There wasn’t og in the instructions. But like I said it’s my first all malt beer so had no idea what to expect i’ll Take on board your advice
Thanks again for your input

Latest posts

Back