Small Batch AG Pot Size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStyler

Reaction score
Hi

Apologies if this is a repeat but having searched I can’t find any clear advice on this.

I am looking to get into small batch AG via brewing on a kitchen induction work top with a mesh bag and stock pot. My target is to brew 10L bathes. As such I am trying to understand what is an appropriate size stock pot to achieve this. I know everyone says go bigger but I’m fairly content with brewing a 10l batch at this stage and conscious of ability to heat the amount of water having read other threads. However for a 10L batch how much headroom do I need ? 12L, 13L, 15L etc?

thanks 🙏

In my experience advertised stockpot volumes are not always accurate.

I brew stove top 11.5L batches and have what was sold as a 20L pot. I expect it is closer to 18L for practical use, maybe 20L at the rim.

That size allows me to collect and adjust total water volume in one pot and also gives space to start the boil with c.14L and not have to worry about a boil over.

In short, don't trust the advertising and go a bit bigger than you think you need.

The usual route is the Wilko stock pot, it is quoted as 12L, but I believe it is 15 or 16L. I started making 10L batches in one of these, then found that I could push it 11.5L (2.5 gallons), which meant that I could use published 23L (5 gallon) recipes and simply halve all quantities.

Thanks all appreciate it as it will be first
Time doing AG!

So sounds like there is a bit of flex but as a minimum I would need a 12L pot...

Rod - do you have a link to the pot you bought from amazon!

Covrich excuse my ignorance but can your explain or direct me to is any further stuff I can read about avoiding the Sparge on this basis?
Thanks

Thanks all appreciate it as it will be first
Time doing AG!

So sounds like there is a bit of flex but as a minimum I would need a 12L pot...

Rod - do you have a link to the pot you bought from amazon!

Covrich excuse my ignorance but can your explain or direct me to is any further stuff I can read about avoiding the Sparge on this basis?
Thanks
Just to throw my hat into the ring.....

I use to do 6L stove top BIAB batches in a 14L pot and really struggled. By the time I’d factored in grain volume, absorption, boil off, dead space etc I was at the rim of the pot making moving it very tricky. At the minute I’m doing BIAB 12L (packaged) in a converted 27 / 28L Burco boiler and I can get a good rolling boil without fear of boilover. My 14L pot is now used for wort collection and cooling. I strongly advise avoiding anything less than 20L, particularly if you’re going down the BIAB route, unless you’re going to top up after the boil.

Thanks - seems like consensus is 20L pot would mitigate the potential shortcomings.

As I’m running on an Bosch induction Hob which has a 2.2kw output on TW largest burner - any risk I won’t get up to temp...?

You don't have to necessarily buy a larger stock pot than your intended brew size. I have an 11 litre stock pot with an effective working capacity of 9 litres and I just keep topping up during the boil. And you can always dilute (liquor back?) which is what I have just done to one beer I currently have in the FV, and which is 12 litres.

Back