Small brewery relief.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
South Lakes MP Tim Farron has joined calls urging the Chancellor to reverse proposed tax changes which could threaten the future of small breweries.

Mr Farron has joined 102 other cross-party MPs in signing a joint letter to Rishi Sunak, arguing that changing small breweries’ relief (SBR) would devastate local brewers at a time when many businesses are already struggling to survive.

1608656146367.png

Small breweries’ relief was introduced in 2002 to help up-and-coming breweries become profitable and compete with the big brewing companies.

The relief currently gives any brewer producing less than 5,000 hectolitres (hl) annually a 50 per cent discount on beer duty.

But the Government is looking to reduce that upper limit to 2,100hl, resulting in smaller breweries being slapped with a big tax hike.

Mr Farron said: “At a time when small breweries have been crippled by the pandemic, it frankly beggars belief that the Chancellor would introduce new measures to penalise them further.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/1895...s-chancellor-rishi-sunak-scrap-beer-tax-hike/

From what I can tell the proposed idea is instead of getting 50% discount for under 5000hl and no discount not much above it they want a much more staggered rate, so that breweries don't hit an amount of production then have no reason to expand due to the tax hike. Also as far as I can tell its not decided what the tax will change to at just under 5000hl. So until we know what the change will be I don't think its worth considering.

Latest posts

Back