Small necked dj's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been luck to aquire 13 Used dj's, most have been out side for a long time and are getting a dam good de-greening and cleaning.
I have noticed 4-5 of them are smaller necked so much so you cannot get a standard bung into them. Have looked at baffcat and they want £4.20 each bung and I'd have to drill the holes my self!
Anybody know of any suppliers of smaller bungs? my neck is 25mm in diameter. If not I may have to resort to cutting down some standard ones.
The is also one with a screw cap :shock:

Use a standard bung and whittle it down with a sharp knife, I've carved some down to about 20mm diameter and they work just fine.

tis may sound a bit daft but ive used a bit of hose pipe with sparkys tape raped round it to make a tite fit in the neck of the dj then the outer end in a buckt of warter did the trick

muddydisco said:
I have noticed 4-5 of them are smaller necked so much so you cannot get a standard bung into them. Have looked at baffcat and they want £4.20 each bung and I'd have to drill the holes my self! Anybody know of any suppliers of smaller bungs? my neck is 25mm in diameter.

A 'standard' bored rubber bung should fit into a 25mm internal diameter neck of a 'screw top' (old ex-cider/squash) 'DJ'. I use these and they fit.

Have you checked the precise internal diameter of these using a vernier gauge (Moley - you have one - what have you measured the internal diameter on various screw top 'DJs' ?), and if you don't push your airlock right down into the rubber bung, you should should manage to push them in, albeit not as much as 'normally'.

Even if a bored rubber (cork ones are normally a larger diameter) bung doesn't fit, try a solid rubber bung and if that fits you'll be still be able to use it for storage/maturing.

The larger rubber bungs in the quoted link above may fit old half gallon glass demijohns that had an internal neck size of approx. 23mm, but I checked that diameter using an old ½ gall DJ cork, rather than pull the stopper on a maturing wine. And they seem an expensive soluttion compared to 2 litre PET mineral water bottles fitted with a 13mm electrical grommet.

P.S. Beware of so called 'DJs' that have narrow screw tops and a horizontal, internal top flange. You will never get a generally available/cheap bung to fit these.

David said:
Have you checked the precise internal diameter of these using a vernier gauge (Moley - you have one - what have you measured the internal diameter on various screw top 'DJs' ?)
A standard bung seems to taper from 27-32mm diameter. I don't have any large corks.

I only possess two screw-necked half DJs, internal diameters 27 and 28mm.

Standard DJs seem to be around 28-29mm internal diameter.

Like I said before, carve them down with a Stanley knife or similar, I've fitted a couple to water cooler bottle caps and have just measured their internal diameters at 16.5mm.

you can get,and i know cos I've got some,from home brew shop, bungs that will fit a narrower neck,about the same price as standard bung,i just went in,explained about the thread on outside of neck,and he just took some off the shelf,no special order or anything.and don't forget,these things are tapered so you will get an increasing size the further into the demijohn it goes

Got a few of these myself and they're a bit of a nuisance so I've relegated them to the 'last resort' department. However, it pays to think outside the biox, or in this case, the jar. For simple storage, a bit of plastic bag secured with an elastic band will suffice. For fermenting, closed cell plastic packing foam (not white polystyrene, although, at a pinch this would do) is an easy to cut, durable, highly compressible and sufficiently air tight replacement material for cork, rubber and silicone.
I used it to plug my wooden barrel while I tracked down an expensive cork bung that fitted.
These days of fast fermentation are making traps somewhat obsolete anyway. I never use them for my 5 gallon kits, just a cloth and lid.

get one of your bungs wedge something in the hole that will fit in a drill and sand it down to the size you want it

Latest posts

Back