SMASH for hop self education

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have decided to brew a few 10litre batches of ale to try and learn the characteristics of different hops, which at the moment I am pretty useless at.
I was wondering what you think of my basic recipe and if it will be good for this or if I need to make it more hop forward?

Currently I have 4 varieties to brew, Challenger, EKG, Fuggles and Citra

The basic recipe is for an easy drinking summer/blonde type of beer with a low IBU and each hop I expect to adjust to get the same IBU

2.04Kg Maris Otter

3.4g Citra @ 60
3.3g Citra @ 15
11.9g Citra @ 20 minute Hopstand at 80 deg

OG 1.040 FG 1.011 ABV 3.8% IBU 21 BU:GU 0.52

Yeast WLP 005

Water Profile (based on Palmers Blonde Ale recipe)

Ca 96 Mg8 Cl 126 SO4 76 HCO3 18

Yes just reduces the bitterness but intensifies the hop aroma and flavour of the actual hop.
Thanks, I shall give that a try then, do you think my chosen water profile which is currently SO4/Cl ratio of 0.6 will be okay for tasting the hops or should I go more in favour of sulfide?

Thanks, I shall give that a try then, do you think my chosen water profile which is currently SO4/Cl ratio of 0.6 will be okay for tasting the hops or should I go more in favour of sulfide?
I normally use brewers friend and would select the hoppy profile then adjust my water accordingly.

I normally use brewers friend and would select the hoppy profile then adjust my water accordingly.
Thanks, I use Brewfather which doesn't have that option but I have checked against Brewers Friend so could use that in Brewfather, Palmer has his Blonde Beer water profile more malt forward, but I guess I should go hop forward for this.

Thanks, I use Brewfather which doesn't have that option but I have checked against Brewers Friend so could use that in Brewfather, Palmer has his Blonde Beer water profile more malt forward, but I guess I should go hop forward for this.
Well if its just the hops yes but with both malt and hops you could try a balanced profile which will let both come through.

Back