Smoked Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I've done a brew roughly to that recipe (I lost my scales, so I guessed some quantities, I get the feeling its going to need more bitterness added, but I think i was pretty close with the grain bill.

Pitched Mangrove Jacks Dark ale yeast (to use it up) last night, i'll keep you informed about what happens.

Tried today, its certainly smokey, but in a good way I think, probably to smokey for a session beer though, so it'll be going into bottles rather than the cornies :D

I'm not sure I could guess weights of grains and hops! I like your style.

Whilst at an open day (Holloween) recently at the Pipes brewery in Cardiff I had a couple of pints of `smoked lager' which was very nice. Everyone else who tried it said how smoky it was but personally I could barely smell/taste it. So since then I've been thinking of trying a smoked beer. Next planned brew is an Adnams Ghost Ship clone, so I was thinking of substituting a bit of smoked malt for some of the pale malt and see what happens. This is what I'm thinking:

Smokey Ghost

Pale Malt 8 lb 13 oz
Smoked malt 1 lb 8 oz
Crystal malt 120g
Rye Cara Malt 120g

25g Chinook @ 1 hour
40g Amarillo @ 10 mins
45g Citra @ 1 min.
55g Citra dry hop

Thoughts anyone? Apart from the smoked malt it's based on an extract clone by a youtube guy called Lakeybloke brewery.

I'm not sure I could guess weights of grains and hops! I like your style.

I feel I wasnt too far out on the grains, as I used 2kg bags of pale and rauch malt, so that was about half, then I had a tub with 750g of crystal, and one with 250g of choccy, so It wasnt too hard to guess.

The hops were harder, so I decided to go under, as I can always boil some more up to give more bitterness. However I feel that the smokiness from the malts somehow counters being under my desired IBUs.

Whilst at an open day (Holloween) recently at the Pipes brewery in Cardiff I had a couple of pints of `smoked lager' which was very nice. Everyone else who tried it said how smoky it was but personally I could barely smell/taste it. So since then I've been thinking of trying a smoked beer. Next planned brew is an Adnams Ghost Ship clone, so I was thinking of substituting a bit of smoked malt for some of the pale malt and see what happens. This is what I'm thinking:

Smokey Ghost

Pale Malt 8 lb 13 oz
Smoked malt 1 lb 8 oz
Crystal malt 120g
Rye Cara Malt 120g

25g Chinook @ 1 hour
40g Amarillo @ 10 mins
45g Citra @ 1 min.
55g Citra dry hop

Thoughts anyone? Apart from the smoked malt it's based on an extract clone by a youtube guy called Lakeybloke brewery.

Not the best to ask as chucked about 10 rauchmalz brews down the sink. Just couldn't stomach them in any style but i do drink Ghost Ship sometimes. Found the quality seems to vary though dunno if its me. I found this quote from the brewer if its of any use.

"The final concept for Ghost Ship would be for a beer light in colour but with a little more sweetness and body from the addition of some caramalt and some rye to our pale ale malt. The Citra hops were complemented by a few other varieties, including Columbus and Centennial, but all the dry hops were Citra. "

So, this got a white mouldy infection, I've chucked it in a spare keg and carbed it a little just to see what happens.

I've really been struggling with this one, I cant see anything wrong with my policy of star-sanning everything before beer goes near it, but 3/4 of my last brews have had things going on. The only think I can think of is the FV rim might have been a bit dirty?

Latest posts

Back