So - how much did your first pint cost ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBWood

Regular.
Reaction score
Baz Chaz quotes 8p Mild / 10p Bitter in a recent post; beats me !

First Pint
Mort Arms
Tyldsley
Lanacashire ( aka Greater Manchester )
Joseph Holts
Bitter
48p a go

How about you ???

Andy

I cant really remeber how much my first pint cost. But i can remeber how much i used to pay for beer when i met the wife. £1.95 a pint for Carling 6 years ago. She was the bar maid at my local pub, when i used to spend thurs-sunday night proping the bar up :D

Damned if I can remember, but google says a pint of beer in England in 1976 would have been around 32p.

What was it in 1970, Moley? Courage's brown ale. ISTR under two shillings, but it's all a bit hazy. I know it was Old Money.

1/10d for Boddies mild
2/- for Boddies bitter
This would be aeound 1968

critty said:
Oh you mean pub wise. :grin:

Erm prices back in 2000 were about £1.20 and 90p on student nights.
£1.20 in 2000 where was you drinking ? as far as can remember a pint in 1988 was around £ 1.10

to buy it was 60 pence a pint in the pub. can i point out that , that was the price after i turned 18, in no way was in the pub buying beer before my 18th birthday :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

to brew i think it was about £400

buckets, barrels, cooler, boiler, mash tun parts to make, a pair of asda kettles, spoon, scales, hops, and crushed grain bags, brass taps, yep it was about £400 for that first pint of pale ale.

the rest were about 20 p after that first pint :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Early 1970s The Bullseye Basildon, 1/10d [9p] for a pint of Charringtons bitter. Friday night a skinfull of beer, 20 fags and pie and chips on the way home and still had change out of a pound. Mind you as an apprentice I was earning £12 a week, £2 of which went on train fares to London.

Can't remember fully, but think it was about £1.90 a pint of carling, £2.10 a pint of stella in 1997 when I legal...

Then, at university in 98-01, it turned out £1 pint carling/carlsberg on special nights, and usually about £1.50 (this was in the student bar). Normal pubs, around £2.10 pint. Remember the 50p double vodka and red bull nights at some of the night clubs before 10pm. And there were the "all you can drink" nights on Tuesdays for £10 entrance ... nightmare was actually getting served after queuing :p

:lol: There are more old farts and grumpy old gits on here than I realised.

I do remember my first job, age 14, and our money hadn't long gone decimal.

Remember when petrol forecourts were manned and you drove over a bell cable on your way in? A lad pumped your petrol, and maybe checked your oil, while you went into the kiosk to pay. I was one of those lads, and 4-star was 36p a GALLON.

The job had its perks though, if any driver didn't want their green shield stamps we kept them to one side and shared them out at the end of the shift.

I remember it cost 30p to fill up my Puch Maxi moped with 2 stroke and my first pint of (illegal) pub beer in Haverfordwest was 14p.
RD

Moley said:

OK OK, your a long time dead so you have to get as much moaning in when your still alive.

Oh, petrol. One place near us just after decimalisation tried a coin-in-the-slot pump once. It went wrong one night and didn't switch off so all the bikers at our youth club, and everyone else we could phone, got a free tankful.

Moley said:

I do remember my first job, age 14, and our money hadn't long gone decimal.

Remember when petrol forecourts were manned and you drove over a bell cable on your way in? A lad pumped your petrol, and maybe checked your oil, while you went into the kiosk to pay. I was one of those lads, and 4-star was 36p a GALLON.

The job had its perks though, if any driver didn't want their green shield stamps we kept them to one side and shared them out at the end of the shift.

At the risk of this thread starting to sound like a Monty Python Sketch .... :nono:

I've still got my first pay slip from 1970 :oops:

£5 4s 0d for a 48 hour week over 6 days, takehome was £4 16s 7d after stoppages :shock:

We got petrol ration books issued in the early 70's, but they didn't get used for some reason :?:

Green shield stamps ;) took ages to save for anything :lol:

The beer prices I mentioned, 8p mild and 10p bitter were in 1972, in the Junior Common Room bar, if any of the students worked the bar for the evening they got 4 free pints as payment :drunk: it was amazing how many maths students couldn't count :whistle:

The other thing we did when we were working the bar, there was a swing top bin we used for all the ullage, we cleaned it out and drew off a couple of pints from each pump (total waste of time, it was never in the pipes long enough, 4 hours from lunchtime closing!) .... and yes, we used to 'subsidise' our 4 earned pints with the contents of the bin :eek:

Happy days, I remember the intake of students at that time was roughly 120 each year, but there were only about 30 lads ........... :thumb: in fact very happy days indeed :party: met MrsC as a student there, we actually met working in the Union Social Club bar, she was the treasurer @ the time :!:

I used to do cellar duties when I was 16. A pint Of Robinsons Mild was 64p, bitter 72p and l*ger was 84p and a pint of guinness was 78p. A shot of spirits was only 72p as well :rofl: :rofl:

Mind you I remember a packet of crisps being 4p and a mars bar 12p :lol: :lol:

local pub by the slaughterhouse in Salisbury where i worked sold Watney's Starlight for 1s 6p or 1&6 about 8p in decimal or new money as we called it circa 1974 :cheers: ken.

Latest posts

Back