So - how much did your first pint cost ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 1987. The John O' Gaunt in Leicester. SKOL at 98p. Wasn't that keen so moved onto XXXX at £1.02!

Ummm... My 1st beer... Crappy lager from now-defunct brewery in Eastern Poland, that was 1985. It was so **** we called it "horse ****" but we drank it because under commie regime you'd be glad if you find any beer in store. I cann't recall the price, but the economy these days was so **** it would not compare to any other currency (exch. rate was 800zl for $1, and monthly salary was ). Fags was cheaper than beer, like 2/3 of price (they was **** too), and was rationed, and vodka, and even chocolate or sweets. And many other things: shoes, clothes, meat, school books, sugar (lifted later this year), butter. Sh*t time it was.

£1.90 for a pint of fosters in the Hope & Anchor down in brizzle. £1.80 on happy hour. I only remember this because i was 15 and amazed i even got served, without question. I think 20 fags were 2.99 at the time.

forget the beer and fags and petrol and the usual other problems us old uns do,

i can remeber my first wage packet,

stoppages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,33 1/3% good old labour :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

five years of that then good old maggie arrived to sort it all out, ha ha ha ha ha

as for the fore court fillers, yes i did it for a few months, blooming freezing all day long, went home with frozen toes on many a cold day

come to think of it my first house was brought with a mortgage intrest rate of 16 %, lets see how many buggers can handle it going past 5 % after all these years of next to nothing intrest rates

I've still got my first pay slip as an apprentice in 1978 - 27 quid, which wasn't bad at the time, bought a mini for 300 quid about a year later and the insurance wasn't stupid like it is today.

Also worked in a Sam Smith pub around 1981, was 37 and half pence a pint for old brewery bitter, you were always serving at least 2 people at a time and had to keep a tally in your head - no tills with product buttons to add up for you or plastic to slow you down.

Went to uni of North London after apprenticeship, the bars were taken over by the management as the student union had their funds sequestrated because they donated to the miners strike - meaning no cheap beer and dull bars :cry:

First pint - £1.50
First Legal Pint - £1.85
Vodka 35ml - £1.00
Petrol per L - £0.73p
First Wage Packet - £92.78

Job done.

First Pint around £1.50's
Diesel p/l was £0.45 when first driving
First wage packet £56

Muddydisco said:
First Pint around £1.50's
Diesel p/l was £0.45 when first driving
First wage packet £56

I can very vaguely remember the petrol & diesel being in the 40-50p price bracket so you must have either started driving early, started drinking late or been in one hell of a dear shop :D

Driving in 96 drinking in 97, Its hard to remember prices of beer, mainly cos the goal was to get ****** at that age not watch the money. looking back it was more like 50p a liter I can remember filling my disco for £45 and getting around 400 miles out of a tank great car for a 18yr old to have :)

Muddydisco said:
Driving in 96 drinking in 97, Its hard to remember prices of beer, mainly cos the goal was to get ****** at that age not watch the money. looking back it was more like 50p a liter I can remember filling my disco for £45 and getting around 400 miles out of a tank great car for a 18yr old to have :)

That's really strange as I was driving in 97 too and I don't remember the petrol prices being anywhere near 50p lol. I'm sure that when I was filling my car it was closer to 60p per L. That was petrol though, was diesel that much cheaper? I remember it skyrocketing a year or 2 after I passed my test as that was when the drivers etc went on strike iirc (around 99/2000 I think).

£45 for 400 miles? That sounds expensive from what I remember. I used to get 500 miles out of a tank in my Vectra. IIRC it cost around £35 to fill at the time (2002). I think the price then was mid 70s for diesel so £35 would be around 50L which is probably about right for the Vectra tank (no doubt 55L). I remember me and my mates would compare miles for a tenner, if you were getting less than 100 miles for £10 at the time it was a guzzler :D

it's a discovery 2.5 tdi dragging around 2 ton of steel and alloy it was never economical :D Think diesel was cheaper for a while then the goverment found more people had diesel cars so tax went up.
The Audi is the first car that has done over 30 mpg I have owned :D Bring on the end of days, Clarkson for Prime minister :whistle:

Muddydisco said:
it's a discovery 2.5 tdi dragging around 2 ton of steel and alloy it was never economical :D Think diesel was cheaper for a while then the goverment found more people had diesel cars so tax went up.
The Audi is the first car that has done over 30 mpg I have owned :D Bring on the end of days, Clarkson for Prime minister :whistle:

Ahh yes, I thought you meant it was cheap to run so ideal for youngsters lol. I would have loved a big bus like that when I wasn't long driving, be great for humphing around just about everything. King of the road too :D

I was handed down a 309 GE. Great car and never let me down once, but not exactly up there for street cred :D

Yeah the government bumped up the prices when they caught onto just about every taxi driver in the UK using it.

Moley said:
Damned if I can remember, but google says a pint of beer in England in 1976 would have been around 32p.

Yip, that'll be about right :thumb: I was paying around 37p for my first two years later :cool:

Mind you, I was a little bit under age at the time ;)

oldstout said:
Moley said:
Damned if I can remember, but google says a pint of beer in England in 1976 would have been around 32p.

Yip, that'll be about right :thumb: I was paying around 37p for my first two years later :cool:

Didn't realise they had a drinking age back then :whistle:

ScottM said:
oldstout said:
Moley said:

Didn't realise they had a drinking age back then :whistle:

Ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got caught at 15 years old by a big Sarge in a pub with me mates. Being a Robert Redford lookalike even then had it's drawbacks :cool:

'How old are you son?'

'18 Sir' (this was the 70's remember, coppers had every right to wrap you in a blanket and kick yout head in if they wanted to, if they were big sargeants you called them 'sir')

'Date of birth?' (This next bit - which always made you 18 - was rehearsed to death), I told him what he needed to hear..

'My a r s e 18 - sup off and f**k off before I put my truncheon where it won't fit'

Honestly, at 15 years old I'm thinking - he'll never get that tw*t up one of my nostrils, I better scarper.........

:hmm: :hmm:
:whistle:

:lol:

Slightly different one but still first pint ..........

My Auntie and Uncle, Jack and Norah Shaw had the Albert Inn, top end of Lancaster town centre.

When I was about 8 or 9 years old (1963/4) I pulled my first pint behind the bar of the Albert, I remember being stood on an upturned beer crate with Uncle Jack helping with pulling the pump :thumb:

50p for trophy bitter at the royal oak in crosby(i was 14 that day!) landlord was a star, bought me a birthday drink for years afterwards, came up to me one birthday and asked how old i was now..........

18 came the reply.... :D :rofl: he was not best pleased!

pittsy said:
critty said:
Oh you mean pub wise. :grin:

Erm prices back in 2000 were about £1.20 and 90p on student nights.
£1.20 in 2000 where was you drinking ? as far as can remember a pint in 1988 was around £ 1.10

I drank bitter and that was always dirt cheap in places like Pitchers (sports bar which was closed and turned into 2 trendy bar which are now closed) and The Elephant and Castle. However this has changed as I went into the elephant and castle and a pint of bitter cost £3.20...

Latest posts

Back