Solar pump power supply help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just bought a solar pump to recirculate the liquid in my HLT as I'm getting uneven temperature in there at the moment. What sort of power supply should I use, ideally one that let's me control the flow if that's possible.
Any top tips.

sorry can't help...I use a large spoon in the HLT.... :oops:

I followed this guide with the exception of adding a switch to the box. I control it with one of these. The only problem is I have to unplug it to change the voltage.

Alternatively you can pick up a 12v dimmer off the bay for about £5 see the third pic on this thread.

I did see a comment on here recently though that restricting the voltage to it will reduce the life of the pump and the best way to control the speed is to restrict flow to (or was it from :wha:) the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps, that's helped me out.

hairybiker said:
There are several threads on here already about speed control for these.
Try a search

I did try a search but didn't find anything, hence why I posted. Apologies for creating a new thread, I didn't realise it was so frowned upon. I will refrain from posting any new threads in future.

piddledribble said:
sorry can't help...I use a large spoon in the HLT.... :oops:

I do that now but it's not easy as my HLT is very near the roof of my garage.

get a ladder ....... :D

Hornby train controllers do the job I understand if you got one left from your childhood. They also appear occaisionally on e bay

I used an old microwave turntable motor to drive a paddle shaft until i fitted a thermowell that got in the way DUH!

a fairly easy out of the box psu for a solar pump is a tattoo gun psu for about a tenner off ebay, u need an extra jack plug to short the foot pedal socket and then u have a speed control knob and a tidy box for the job

I use a DC adaptor from Asda, about £8, it has settings from 3V to 12V, and I find I only use the 3V or 4.5V settings, this is for 23L brews for underletting and fly sparging.

I tap 12V for the computer power supply in my Control Panel . . . then run that though a 99p Chinese LED Dimmer controller

I rummaged in my box of unneeded chargers for phones, routers, out of date stuff and found a 12v PSU at 3amp. Works a charm. As above use an LED dimmer to control the flow, personally I find that it doesnt flow slow enough so fine control is done with the ball valve. These things take some punishment. Had one recirculating the plate chiller in 80c caustic solution for 3 hours the otherday, it lapped it up!

D

i've got two of those tattoo power supplies if you want to buy them off me. brand new as well! Was going to use them with my solar pumps but i think i will be changing to magnetic pumps instead

Darcey said:
I rummaged in my box of unneeded chargers for phones, routers, out of date stuff and found a 12v PSU at 3amp. Works a charm. As above use an LED dimmer to control the flow, personally I find that it doesnt flow slow enough so fine control is done with the ball valve. These things take some punishment. Had one recirculating the plate chiller in 80c caustic solution for 3 hours the otherday, it lapped it up!

D
D, do you restrict the flow on the output of the pump?

I do both, vary the power or tap. I find it handy to close the tap when connecting hoses... Helps avoid loosing the hose contents!

Runwell-Steve said:
I've just bought a solar pump to recirculate the liquid in my HLT as I'm getting uneven temperature in there at the moment. What sort of power supply should I use, ideally one that let's me control the flow if that's possible.
Any top tips.
Were you able to control the flow of pump? I am facing similar problem so can you tell the right way to do it? Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Back