Some basic questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben

Reaction score
Hey all, new brewer here with some very basic and probably annoying questions if you would be so kind.

For the past 1.5 years or so I've been brewing cider from kits which has been enjoyable & has tasted nice enough. However, I'm wondering if the kit method is geared more towards the sort of person who makes 1 brew then never does it again because they were never really into brewing and just wanted to give it a try.
Since like I say, I've been doing this for a while now, I feel like I'm ready to learn a little bit more about the process and perhaps make something a bit more involved and nicer tasting.

The problem that I'm having is that I really don't kno where to start.
I enjoy a cider but some of the recipes on these forums (Cheeky vimto for example) are making me think that it might be interesting to brew something else for a change or perhaps even have 2 brews on the go at once?
I guess what I'm really after is some advice about how to progress from the kit stage & anything else that I may need to purchase. For example, assuming I have 2 brews on the go at once (If this is a good idea for a beginer), would anyone be able to suggest something easyish that would be drinkable in around 1.5 months or so and something that would take a bit longer to brew that would be ready for around christmas time?

I kno this was very vague, but like I say, I'm cluless about what to do & what might taste nice unless its just a case of adding sugar and water like it is in the kits.

Thanks for reading and if anyone has any pointers about anything, even if its just a link for me to read then that would be great.

Chears, Ben.

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum :cheers:

Ciders not my tipple, so sorry can't help you, but am sure someone be along soon who can.
I quite often make supermarket juice wines, I find getting the better quality juices better and using a good yeast is imperative.
Best advice is to read and read and follow tried and tested recipes.

Happy brewing Sean :drink:

welcome . i too like a drop of cider but have never realy found a kit one that suits my taste , after joining this site and reading a few turbo cider posts i gave it a go and i find it better than kits . if you have a spare demi john give a small brew a go or buy a 5ltr bottle of water and use the bottle morrisons are selling princes apple juice at 50p per litre buy 5 put in a demi john buy a sachet of youngs cider yeast and put in demi also fit airlock and ferment out (takes about a week ) once cleared i add another carton of apple juice to sweeten it i find this perfect for my taste :drunk:

Hi BEN and welcome.

Ive done two TC vimto ciders and they are simplicity its self. Easy to brew and very easy to drink.

Give Muddydisco's Cheeky Vimto a go viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5427

Just divide the recipe by 5 to do a small batch thats what I did.

You wont regret it :thumb:

Back