son punkie ipa questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good
When I do the second kit I won't use the hop spider.and look for a better way to dry hop.but very pleased with first ever brew.

I just throw the dry hops straight in the FV now. I cold crash for 48hrs before bottling to let everything sink, then rack into a bottling bucket with the priming sugar added. After a few weeks in the bottles, everything's nice and clear.

sorry very new to all this didn't cold crash probably why mines quite cloudy how cold would you go? did think about throwing the hops in the fv but half are pellets and thought they might just sink in to the muck on the bottom

It's not a necessity but it helps to clear the beer, especially if you're throwing the hops in. I think you're fine to go down as low as 0c, but I just bang the fermentation fridge on full. If you leave your beers for a few weeks more they'll clear just fine, especially if you have them somewhere cold. Only problem is that you'll want to be drinking them. Best option is to just do what works for you. Have a play and see if you think it's worth while.

Pellets are fine thrown in, probably better than whole hops as they (whole) tend to just bob around on the top and they also absorb lots of the beer. I used to use hop bags and the like but I now prefer to just throw em in - again, give it a go and use which ever method you prefer.

Thanks for your help really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I've started drinking mine even though it's still pretty cloudy (my fault due to process and yeast choice). Tasting pretty good but not as hoppy as I expected tbh.

Anyone tried any tweaks to this to make it pack more of a punch?

Thinking of trying it again but moving the bittering addition slightly earlier in the boil, or perhaps just increasing the hop quantities for all additions and leaving the schedule as-is?

Have you tried it next to a glass of real Punk? I was amazed how close it was.

As for moving the bittering addition, if you move it to earlier, you'll just get more bitterness, not more hop flavour - although that's not a bad thing in my opinion.

Now, as it happens, I brewed this again at the weekend and decided to also add 16g of both Mosaic and Vic Secret at 5mins and flame out. I'll be adding the same as dry hops too so should really boost the hoppiness. Not really planned tbh, just using up what I've got left before putting in my next order. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back