Southwold Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_raymo2000

Reaction score
I have been reading about the Southwold ale yeast only being one of the strains of the Adnams bitter yeasts. I work in a pub that turns over 8 or 9 firkins of adnams a week so would have no problem in acquiring the trub in the bottom of the firkins.

Is this a viable way of acquiring yeast for a brew?

Cheers!

will_raymo2000 said:
I work in a pub that turns over 8 or 9 firkins of adnams a week so would have no problem in acquiring the trub in the bottom of the firkins.

Is this a viable way of acquiring yeast for a brew?
:thumb: Yes . . . Unfortunately the Adnams dual strain is not stable, and eventually one or the other strain will dominate it completely. FOr this reason Adnams monitor the make up of the slurry before repitching and eventually throw in a new 'batch' of one or other of the strains.

In your case having access to the trub means that you can grow it up fresh every couple of brews. . . . . Lucky so and so :twisted: :twisted:

I'm getting quite excited reading up on yeast slants now. We have a beer festival in the summer with 60+ cask conditioned beers - lots of yeast for me to harvest!! The only thing is going to be keeping the extracted trub organised and sterile.

Many thanks for the reply Aleman, some test tubes need to be purchased now I think!

Im going to try a Southwold (Lower ABV Broadside) Clone. Would Wyeast 1068 (London ale yeast) be ok for it and where can I get Acid Malt from please.

Back