Sparge Arm Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksa222

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm putting together a simple sparge arm. For the job I have some 15mm copper, a compression tee & push fit end caps.

I'm not bothering with a rotating one of anything, just wanted something simple for now. I just had a couple of questions about the holes... What size drill bit would be best used? and should the holes be drilled on the bottom or the top?

On a side note, I asked for advise about a stout grain bill the other day, and didn't had a reply... no problem, just normally folk seem happy to answer questions. I wonder if alot of people have buggered off now the changes have been made to the forum? and, is it just me or is there a very "Windows '95" feel about the place now?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I wonder if alot of people have buggered off now the changes have been made to the forum?
That it exactly it.

With your sparge arm, I would start small, you can always make them bigger. Perhaps 1mm. I would put the holes in the bottom and side of the tube personally.

Yes like joe says a lot have gone and start with small holes ;-)
If its not rotating you may need to turn it manually at intervals.
Mine is a square split with a central pipe with the feed in the middle if you see what I mean.
S

all working sweet

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9dcu8FXSYk[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PaKrFOcw4[/ame]

That it exactly it.

With your sparge arm, I would start small, you can always make them bigger. Perhaps 1mm. I would put the holes in the bottom and side of the tube personally.

I'd suggest useful techniques for these tiny bits:

Using a hand drill? Heavy drill and long, spindly bit is a bad combo. Leave <10mm of the bit protruding. If the chuck spins against the pipe as the bit goes through, it won't hurt

Punch your drilling point. If you don't have a punch, a nail will make enough dent for the bit to centre.

Lubricate with 3-in-1, WD40, sunflower oil or whatever.

I found these useful suggests on threads when making my 1st sparge arm. Bought a 10 pack of 1mm bits, have made 2 sparge arms, and still have 9 bits left...

Cheers,
Chris

Latest posts

Back