Sparky help needed please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Brewed a beer today, I usually clean all my kit straight after and boil up a few litres of water in the mash kettle. Left it for 5 mins, when I came back the power in the garage had conked out...

Checked the indoor fuse box, all on, we also have an outdoor fuse box, also on so i'm presuming I blew the fuse?

1686514826986.png

Took fuse out which is this... Looks like this, i'm presuming its a cartridge fuse? Can't seem to find them anywhere, can you still buy them?
1686514938000.png
1686514952473.png

Thanks in advance!

No Leccy but I too thought you just put the correct fuse wire in them.
I think that is what the 2 screws are for to captivate the fuse wire

Yeah that’s an old school fuse wire holder.

You should be able to just get hold of what you need. If your lucky.

However I would STRONGLY recommend getting the distribution board replaced by a spark.

Thanks everyone! Yeah wasn't sure if I needed to replace the whole thing or just the wire.... I haven't really come across this tyoe of thing before.

Yeah electrician coming out this week, it's just that the freezer is out in the garage so will see if I can get power back on till he comes round. Otherwise it'll be the extension lead out the window again!

We had those up until we redid our electrics last year. Yes, the hold an old style fuse. No idea where to buy them. We were lucky we never had to.

Yes. You can get the rcd inserts like soupdragon mentioned, but we tried one type and it was just the wrong size to fit.

Definitely recommend figuring out why the electrics blew though. Fuses don't just blow of their own accord.

The old fuse wire remnants (if there) should give an indication of what happened.

A melted gap in the wire indicates a current too high over time, splatters of fuse wire indicates a fault like a short circuit...

We have one of these fuse boxes it's in an under counter cupboard in the kitchen so is a pita to get to its been there a long time and we have only replaced the fuse in the downstairs lighting circuit twice in all those years due to two G9 LED bulbs blowing, we changed from G9 halogen to G9 LED but due to where the fuse dox is have now gone back to G9 halogen again.

We still have one of these for the top floor - managed to short out the lighting circuit twice when we had to replace the bathroom fan 🙈, we got fairly good at rewiring the fuse.... but @soupdragon those plug in replacements look good, thanks.

Latest posts

Back