Spent Grain Bread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all - and as specially requested by Wez (apologies that this is in the wine and beer recipe section):

800g strong white flour
1 level teaspoon of salt
1 packet of dry baker’s yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 level teaspoon of brown sugar (providing all sugars have been sparged from the grain)
400 – 500g spent grain (wet weight and depending on how ‘rustic’ you like your bread)
425ml warm water

Flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a large bowl, add grain and mix well. Add about ¾ of the water and mix with wooden spoon, if too dry add water until mix is thick but stodgy. Remove from bowl and knead (I usually knead for a minimum of 15 minutes (or until arms drop off, the longer the better). Return to a clean bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 2 hours. Knock air out, knead again for 5 minutes. Either divide into 2 equal pieces, put in buttered tins and allow to rise – or place on a buttered metal tray and allow to rise (approx 1 more hour). Dust top with a little flour and bung in the oven for about 35 – 45 mins.
Note: I never leave the grain more than 24 hours (refrigerated) before using it.

Great stuff chaps - I posted some pics ages ago of some of my bread making using the left over yeast from a brew, I always try to use some spent grains as well after Tony suggesting it :thumb:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6422

Love baking bread - you can get so many great flours in the shops :cool: Post your bread pics :P

Latest posts

Back