sports beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Seeing as sports drinks are 99% marketing and 1% science, and all taste ****, I was wondering if there would be a market for a mildly alcoholic hypotonic ale that tasted half decent, might as well as enjoy yourself while being fleeced.

An isotonic drink has to have similar salt and sugar levels to the "human body body" (from wikipedia - doesn't say which bit or fluid of the body :hmm: )

a Hypotonic drink has less sugar/salt to whatever body part/fluid it refers to so sounds better.

Is it just a case of whacking up the brew salts and mashing at a higher tempt to get loads of dextrines in then marketing it to death? :D

hmm, sounds interesting- if u did manage to make a beer that would both get u drunk yet hydrated thus avoiding those pesky hangovers i can suggest there will defo be a market... just make sure to add pico grams of brain stimulating stuff like all the tat in those energy drinks- always gd for marketing- however to hit the correct cash point if the mash will be mostly for dextrines (like u brillantly suggested) i reckon the booze would need to come from other sugars-
- i too am trying something like this using only crystal and carapils and sugar- have run into difficultys from the citric acid used to caramelise the sugars belgain style- and had to add sodium bicarb to correct so may taste revolting (if it ever clears) :wha:

Latest posts

Back