Squirrels keep eating my hop plants, will the lower shoots still produce hops if the plants cant reach its full height

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
20230515_153314.jpg

Falling out with the missus over this one, she feeds them , which I never had a problem with. But now I do.

Are you certain it is squirrels doing the damage? I've grown hops for over 30 years and never had one attack a vine. I have more squirrels in my yard than you can shake a stick at, and they damage every damn veggie or flower they see; but never a hop plant. At the moment, I see two families of red squirrels and a half dozen gray squirrels romping about the yard. I have always assumed the vines are too prickly for them to bother with.

Are you certain it is squirrels doing the damage? I've grown hops for over 30 years and never had one attack a vine. I have more squirrels in my yard than you can shake a stick at, and they damage every damn veggie or flower they see; but never a hop plant. At the moment, I see two families of red squirrels and a half dozen gray squirrels romping about the yard. I have always assumed the vines are too prickly for them to bother with.
They are just eating the heads off of the leading shoots. I haven't actually seen them eat them but they are always sitting on the fence next to them.

I hate squirrels. Didn't eat plants just my house and got in the loft and chimney. Pest control were useless as they didn't want to climb up to the chimney. I am a fan of wildlife until it effects my well being, it's fairly stressful knowing those little 🤬are destroying your house and effecting your sleep.

Thankfully no issues now air rifle did the trick... didn't feel good at the time but my mental health was restored by the morning. The rest of the clan left when they realised their days were numbered.

Back