St Pete’s Chocolate Biscuit Boadicea Brown Ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friedaweed

Reaction score
Ok so I have this friend Pete. He really is a Saint. He always has been the sort of mate you know you never have to ask for anything in the way of a helping hand or moral support, it just happens. It always has done and for a number of years, including a very rocky period of my life when I was on my **** big style he has come up trumps. He just does things as part of his everyday nature that makes you think “What a ******* nice bloke and how lucky am I to have him as a friend”.

Now Pete works in an industrial plant for one of the biggest manufacturers of the stuff we like to make ourselves so he has been intrigued by my new hobby and without asking has turned up on a number of occasions with little surprises saying “Will these be any good to ya fat lad?”. Now without saying too much for obvious reasons in the public domain I will say that in short I only have to brew the stuff and everything else seems to have been taken care of by my patron Saint. In the short time I’ve been immersed in this wonderful world of learning Saint Pete has provided big style.

So what do you do for a Saint? You make him his own batch don’t you?

So I offer to do him a brew last week over a cuppa. I’d been to the local homebrew shop near his house and picked up some half price kits that had just hit sell by and he takes a shine to one. “That Northunberland Brown Ale sounds nice will it be any good?”
“It will be la when we’ve finished with it”

Being a bit of a novice still it’s gonna be a hit or miss but I think we should end up with something to get drunk on at least.

The Swag
imag1997.jpg

1 Brewmakers 1.8kg Northumberland Brown Ale kit
500g Home-made Belgian Candy Sugar (Ruby ruby ruby ruby)
415g Dark Spay Malt (I’d used the other 85 to prime a barrel)
85g Dark Molasses (That 85g had to come back from somewhere and it was in the baking cupboard)
200g Biscuit Malt
200g Organic Chocolate Malt
100g Chocolate Wheat (Lively hey)
22g Boadicea Hops (Apparently the Marmite of hops)

A bottle of Cornish Knocker (To lubricate the brewer)

Two pan, 2 bag, boil in the can, oven mash method. (Yeah I’m taking the ****.)

The Swagger

Grains Steeped in oven with 4 litres of water @ 67c in shiny pan for 45 mins
imag1999z.jpg

kit tin (Cleaned and Glue removed) warmed in boiling hot water in pan number 2.
Kit contents into FV.
Candy sugar into kit tin and topped up with boiling water, left in the pan of bubbling water to dissolve. Mucho stiro.
imag2002.jpg

Dissolved candy sugar into FV.
DME into kit tin topped up with boiling water and dissolved.
DME into FV
Empty pan 2 and rinse
As if by magic the mash is ready.
Cover mash pan with hop bag netting and fix firmly in place with clean crepe bandage.
Empty upturned mash pan straight into pan 2, leave to drain and turn the boil on.
imag2006.jpg

Remove mash pan once drained
45 minute boil
Boadicea Hops in hop bag number 2 for last 10 minutes.
Chill wort in sink full of all that **** that’s been clogging up the freezer. (Summer’s over kids the ice pops are surplus)
imag2011o.jpg

Put chilled wort into FV
Top up to 23 litres.
As if by magic it’s 20c
Pitch Yeast.
Put lid on and wait for it to be blown off in 24 hours
imag2014.jpg

OG 1042 :thumb:

Conclusion.
My first play with grains. Saint Pete gets his batch. Ikea bag around FV just in case.

Right fairies do your work.

Yup absolutly.

It's bubbling like a good'un and smells lovely :cool:
Can't wait for a taster :)

Latest posts

Back