St Peter's Golden Ale - Confused.com

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR2Jay

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Bought a St Peter's Golden Ale kit at the weekend and got it on.

Sterilised everything thoroughly (kit hadn't been used for a while so was double careful) And followed the instructions to the letter on the box. Sure enough, within 2-3 hours, it had foamed up and by the following day it was really bubbling away quite ferociously.

Came down this morning and it has stopped :wha:

Checked everything, room is at a constant 20 degrees C and I have checked the wort temperature which is carrying a steady 19 degrees C.

Took a hydrometer reading - it started at OG 1042 and is is sitting at 1014 now which seems a bit quick by my reckoning (3 days).

There is still a foam on top but nothing else. seems to be happening. As the kit suggests 4-6 days but researching with you guys it is more like 10, this seems ridiculous.

Any advice here?

Seems to be doing just perfect. The bulk of activity usually happens in the first few days then it calms down. Leave it another 5- 10 days and it should be ready to bottle or keg.

Hmmm - OK....

The last kit I had (Midland Mild Ale) steadily bubbled away and then petered off towards the end, this one went nuts and seems to have almost died off already.....

It's the difference between the 2 which has surprised me here....

Different recipes and different yeasts will behave differently. Fermentation might only take 3 or 4 days but if you leave it for longer it gives the yeast chance to clean up and drop clear.

If the yeast was healthy and it was pitched at the correct temperature in aerated wort. It happens.

I swear to god the second hefeweizen I brewed finished in less than 48 hrs. I poured the wort directly onto the trub of a previous brew and it went ape sh*t nuts.

OK, I'll just ignore it for a week then :)

Got a Mexican Cerveza on as well which has foamed up nicely but nothing in the airlock. On that one though I think it is the fermenting bin. Only ever used this one as a secondary and I am doubting the completeness of the seal so not worried. I can physically see that it is foaming well and foam = activity.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. This isn't a particularly cheap kit and I would hate for it to go belly up when it smells so good :)

Well, this is strange - off she goes again :wha:

Bubbling away again - probably once every 3 of 4 seconds...

Nothing has changed - Oh, I dunno. I think I'll just leave it until 10 days are up. This one is confusing me though

Of all the kits I've done St. Peter's golden ale is my favorite. I bottled after six days, it did work quickly. I've saved some bottles, and at six months they taste even better.

Latest posts

Back