St. Peter's IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddy90

Regular.
Reaction score
I finally got round to putting my first beer kit on & it's bubbling away nicely.
I checked the gravity yesterday cos I thought it'd stopped but it was only 1.024. I think my lid isn't sealing v well :roll:
Anyway.... The box says it'll be done at 1.014 but my hydrometer says beer finishes at 1.006 :eek:
Which is right? :wha:

lots of factors with 'em. if there's any trub in the glass that'll affect it, as well as temperature. My usual solution is to shove it in the trial jar and leave for 20 mins until it's cool, then that's very close to your reading. There are hydrometer temperature correction calculators online, just grab a thermometer. a fermenting beer will be warmer than the temperature around it!

beer can finish anywhere between what, 1.005 to 1.025 depending on the amount of malt and the yeast attenuation, most premium brew kits have a good amount of residual sweetness and super body. my solution - just leave it in the FV until it's quite clear and then keg or bottle as usual. FG reading should be close, providing you're not over 1.020 and have taken a few readings, you should be in the safe zone.

All very technical this brewing lark! :rofl:
Thanks. :thumb:
I'll leave it for a while yet then & maybe re check in a week.

Latest posts

Back