St Peter's Cream Stout Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makelikeaturkey

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing about 15 years, but had a 14 ½ year break in the middle so I still feel quite new to this!
I've got a friend who loves his stout so thought it'd be nice to do one as my next kit and I've settled on St Peter's Cream Stout, but I've heard the instructions are vague so I've got questions!

I tend to brew in coolish utility room but recently it's been running at about 24°C. Is this too hot?

Some people seem to pimp it up to increase the strength. What are the pros and cons of this? Any suggestions? Brewers sugar or malt extract?

Finally, how much caster sugar should I use to prime it when bottling? It came as a bit of a surprise that different beers need different amounts and I might have been a bit cautious with a Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat where I mixed in 150g in for 44 pints.

Any advice, much appreciated! Cheers in advance!

I've been homebrewing about 15 years, but had a 14 ½ year break in the middle so I still feel quite new to this!
I've got a friend who loves his stout so thought it'd be nice to do one as my next kit and I've settled on St Peter's Cream Stout, but I've heard the instructions are vague so I've got questions!

I tend to brew in coolish utility room but recently it's been running at about 24°C. Is this too hot?

Some people seem to pimp it up to increase the strength. What are the pros and cons of this? Any suggestions? Brewers sugar or malt extract?

Finally, how much caster sugar should I use to prime it when bottling? It came as a bit of a surprise that different beers need different amounts and I might have been a bit cautious with a Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat where I mixed in 150g in for 44 pints.

Any advice, much appreciated! Cheers in advance!
Hi, for a pimped stout have a look at this thread:
" Ditch's Stout " Master Class ..... - Home Brew Forum

I know you have been away from brewing for a few years so a lot has advanced etc there is some good software out there , I used to use beersmith back in the day but I now use "Brewfather" definitely worth a look.It also has a handy priming calculator. acheers.

My advice is
1. 24C will be fine.
2. Don’t pimp the first kit brew as per instructions.
3. use brewing sugar (dextrose) for priming at a level teaspoon per bottle.
4. Alternatively you could use soft brown sugar to prime.

Latest posts

Back