St Peters Ruby Red Ale review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this kit in Feb 15 and put a few bottles away for keepseys as I thought it was good then. WOW, just WOW. 9 months in the bottle and it honestly tastes like Punk IPA which has to be one of the nicest bottled beers around. Needless to say my secret stash is no more!

Went in to cheers home brew shop in long Eaton and they had a barrel of this on the counter to sample...absolutely lovely stuff, think this will be my next kit purchase

Yep, Ive got my eye on one of these as well. Always gets rave reviews

Put one of these in the FV tonight, with an extra 250 of LSM, brewed to 21L. Judging by the comments throughout this thread, this should be a good'un. OG was 1048, will check again next weekend, but intend to leave in FV for 2 weeks. Depending on clarity will then either bottle or stick in the shed where it's a bit cooler for a few days to hopefully clear. Looking to then batch prime with 80g caster sugar, diluted into 200ml water (or 1 carb drop per 500ml). Will then keep bottles indoors for 3 weeks to carb up. I have thought about a dry hop with 15g EKG on day 7, has anyone tried that?

Would that make it fizzy, or just help with head? I was planning to use around 130 for the Mexican Cerveza!

I've heard the adjustable sparkler tap from home brew online can make a huge difference. Not sure if it's true, and it will I think only fit a 4inch top barrel as it secures with a back nut.
Anyone care to confirm?

I was curious about how much difference a sparkler made as I'm getting a bit cheesed off with the budget taps. I fitted a sparkler to a 20 litre budget pressure barrel a month ago, and have been conditioning a Citra/Cascade hopped Wherry kit in it.

Tap fits fine, but unlike the budget taps it won't rotate independently so you need to play around with washers and PTFE tape to get a leak-free nose-down fit.

I'll let you know how much better than the budget tap in a few days time when it's 4 weeks conditioning is up!

I have thought about a dry hop with 15g EKG on day 7, has anyone tried that?

I've yet to find a kit that didn't benefit from a dry hop - seems to add a bit of life back into them all. Go for it!

My favourite is probably a cascade-citra mix but I've also enjoyed EKG and citra together (not a standard pairing I know!).

I've also dry-hopped several beers in the barrel which works a treat but you then need to drink them within a few weeks or they get a bit grassy (unless you use thread to get the hop bag out!)

ah ok. so you're doing two styles of dry hopping. the tea and some in muslin. I may do a similar amount with some challenger next week. do you have a special technique with dry hopping?

This was my first kit and I'm still waiting to have my first sample. The waiting is a little painful!

I left it in the fv for about 2 weeks, managed to get the FG to 1012. Has been sitting in bottles now for a week in the dark at room temp. Had a sneak peek yesterday and can't believe how clear the beer is, with the usual sediment at the bottom of the bottles. Will do my first taste test next weekend. Just brewed the kit with no additions, and calculated the ABV should be 4.2%.

A little part of me wants to try one of the beers after 7 days of bottling... worried it will taste bad though!

give it a try mate. it will ease you're mind either way knowing its either promising or infected (I very much doubt as it sounds like you've got Ur wits about you) which will just mean starting another batch soon as. a lot of people taste test a beer after a week me included.

hope it turns out ok

This was my first kit and I'm still waiting to have my first sample. The waiting is a little painful!

I left it in the fv for about 2 weeks, managed to get the FG to 1012. Has been sitting in bottles now for a week in the dark at room temp. Had a sneak peek yesterday and can't believe how clear the beer is, with the usual sediment at the bottom of the bottles. Will do my first taste test next weekend. Just brewed the kit with no additions, and calculated the ABV should be 4.2%.

A little part of me wants to try one of the beers after 7 days of bottling... worried it will taste bad though!

Had a pint of mine last night and it's the best yet. It just gets better and better the longer I leave it. Been kegged since January. First taste in March, it was 'thin' and boring. Late April it was better, even good, but still seemed thin, like a standard ale from a naff pub. But now it's developed into the kind of beer that could give a decent commercial brew a run for it's money.

give it a try mate. it will ease you're mind either way knowing its either promising or infected (I very much doubt as it sounds like you've got Ur wits about you) which will just mean starting another batch soon as. a lot of people taste test a beer after a week me included.

hope it turns out ok

Cheers! Learning from the best on this forum.

Right... I did give it a go last night and whilst is was almost completely clear, it tasted very fizzy and I think yeasty? I guess the taste at the moment wasn't too different from the original malt extract used. However, nothing tasted off or sour - but it definitely doesn't taste good yet!

Not sure what to expect yet, but tempted to leave for another 2 weeks before having another go.

must get a good hop effect from putting the bag in the FV as well as the tea rickster.

I boiled some water, left it a couple of mins then dropped X the hop bag in and let it steep for about 10 mins, theory was it would get the aromas flowing with the warmth plus the 'dry' hop benefits. Only time will tell! I've done a similar thing with and elderflower ale experiment, that's smelling rather flowery at the mo. 4 FV's in the bathroom currently, some busy bottling days coming up!

are these all extract brews? I'm waiting for my misses to do her cider so I can use her FV. I think two on the go would be good practice.
I threw in the pellets loose in the end. I gathered as it was only 25grams and I'm cooling the FV for the last few days itl drop most bits down to the trub.
sounds like a good hop process you do. ill definitely try a tea soon. see what I'm missing

Back