Stainless Steel FV Musings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald8_kop

Reaction score
Hey all

I only started my homebrew journey towards the start of the year but after doing a few Coopers and Mangrove Jack kits with my rudimentary plastic FV/heat mat/inkbird setup I have become increasingly concerned about keeping a firmer grip on the temperature now that the sun is coming out to play. Through luck I've managed to obtain a fridge but it's rather on the small side (91L volume) so my 30L tubs don't squeeze in and nor do any 25L ones seen online since they seem to be of similar height.

I did however stumble across this stainless one and have pretty much talked myself into it even though I'm probably jumping the gun slightly considering I don't even own a kettle yet (next on my list after this - probably once the following payday comes round). Any reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger once brewbuilder have doubly confirmed the dimensions for me?

Nice and shiny FV

I like the airtight seal and inbuilt blowoff - the only (necessary) downside that jumps out at me is it being smaller in volume since I wouldn't wish to lose too much yeast when hitting peak fermentation but I have so far always brewed short to 19/20L anyhow so perhaps I'm overthinking. If I was to cold crash in it (my fridge goes below freezing) would the bucket be able to withstand the pressure were I to seal off the 90 degree blowoff barb for suckback purposes?

Also tempted to get a sight glass installed at the same time; I think they are typically designed for a HLT/BK but since the FV has no internal or external volume measurements would this not be a useful addition whilst I'm waiting to step up and start doing my own boil too? The novelty of seeing the colour/clarity is no bad thing either, plus I'd be able to get a small thermometer for the sake of 20 quid so that I can see at a glance that my inkbird probe is insulated/positioned well enough to be displaying a temperature that's in agreement.

Sight Glass and Thermometer

Any thoughts? If you managed to struggle through to the end of this essay then I offer my thanks!

1) this is not really designed to hold pressure. I'm sure the vessel would be fine, more than likely air would find it's way back in through the gasket or however you had sealed the blow off before doing any real damage.

I would be very very cautious about the sight tube or any other additions, as all the joints and hard to reach places are really hard to clean and get sanitized properly. No real purpose only add to expense and risk of infection.

Hey all

I only started my homebrew journey towards the start of the year but after doing a few Coopers and Mangrove Jack kits with my rudimentary plastic FV/heat mat/inkbird setup I have become increasingly concerned about keeping a firmer grip on the temperature now that the sun is coming out to play. Through luck I've managed to obtain a fridge but it's rather on the small side (91L volume) so my 30L tubs don't squeeze in and nor do any 25L ones seen online since they seem to be of similar height.

I did however stumble across this stainless one and have pretty much talked myself into it even though I'm probably jumping the gun slightly considering I don't even own a kettle yet (next on my list after this - probably once the following payday comes round). Any reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger once brewbuilder have doubly confirmed the dimensions for me?

Nice and shiny FV

I like the airtight seal and inbuilt blowoff - the only (necessary) downside that jumps out at me is it being smaller in volume since I wouldn't wish to lose too much yeast when hitting peak fermentation but I have so far always brewed short to 19/20L anyhow so perhaps I'm overthinking. If I was to cold crash in it (my fridge goes below freezing) would the bucket be able to withstand the pressure were I to seal off the 90 degree blowoff barb for suckback purposes?

Also tempted to get a sight glass installed at the same time; I think they are typically designed for a HLT/BK but since the FV has no internal or external volume measurements would this not be a useful addition whilst I'm waiting to step up and start doing my own boil too? The novelty of seeing the colour/clarity is no bad thing either, plus I'd be able to get a small thermometer for the sake of 20 quid so that I can see at a glance that my inkbird probe is insulated/positioned well enough to be displaying a temperature that's in agreement.

Any thoughts? If you managed to struggle through to the end of this essay then I offer my thanks!
I have the slightly larger 33l Brewbuilder FV (this one) that takes tri-clamp fittings and love it, especially the way it cleans back to as-new condition after each use. No you can't apply any significant pressure to them.

I emailed and asked about fitting a tri-clamp spunding valve to do a pressure-ferment and the answer was definitely not. If you feel the need to cold crash (something I've not found necessary in my process) then you might want to look at filling a balloon or something with CO2 during fermentation to tie on the blow-off tube during the temperature drop.

Hey

That's actually the one that actually brought my attention to it's smaller brother. Sadly the 33L one is a touch too big when taking the protusion into consideration but glad to hear you like yours so much and I appreciate the heads up RE pressure - at least I know.

I've never cold crashed since this will be my first time using the fridge but it's certainly something I'd like to try out for certain beers.

Hey all

Nice and shiny FV

Does your fridge have an ice box causing height restriction?
If so dismantle it and fold the base against the back of the fridge.

That's actually the one that actually brought my attention to it's smaller brother. Sadly the 33L one is a touch too big when taking the protusion into consideration
Was it height or diameter that was the issue? Certainly with the diameter you have to add on a lot when you take into account the triclamp butterfly valve. Height wise you can get a tri-clamp u-bend or use a barb for the blow-off tube that doesn't stick up much. I currently use a barb and it just fits OK in my basic Curry's fridge (h=49cm x w=44 inside).

Was it height or diameter that was the issue? Certainly with the diameter you have to add on a lot when you take into account the triclamp butterfly valve. Height wise you can get a tri-clamp u-bend or use a barb for the blow-off tube that doesn't stick up much. I currently use a barb and it just fits OK in my basic Curry's fridge (h=49cm x w=44 inside).

Diameter is what's a pain in the bum. Think it was 37 cm to play with

The brewbuilder stuff looks excellent. I went with a SS Brewbucket in the end but was really tempted by a custom set up

I would go for that. Its simple and easy to clean. Less moving parts the better. With regards to pressure vessels you will have to spend the money to get some thing good. Steer clear of the fermzilla fermentasauraus path. They are awesome on paper..... Ive had one fermzilla that went back. Ive got a fresh one thats touch and go with sealing. Ive got a fermzilla that is also touch and go. Im using blow off sticks on them . I cant trust them to seal and hold the pressure. I want a ssbrewtec one but cant justify the huge tag. So im going to build my own stainless fermentors.

You could also go the Brew Devil/Guten conical, cheap easy to clean and if you did want to convert it to a pressure vessel you could do that, quite easily, not using the toggle clamps but.
Although I don't know why anyone would want to use pressure during fermentation apart from minimal pressure to carbonate the beer.

Before I got a fridge I've looked at various ways of controlling temps and have made different variations of Son of a Fermentation Chamber. The TLDR is it's a chamber made of insulating material with a small fridge stuck in at one end providing cooling. The instructions include building a whole chamber out of wood with insulation material, I've never done that, but have found space in a cupboard where I wrap everything in a couple of sleeping bags, or a shelving unit which acts as a structure and I can insulate with sleeping bags or old duvets etc. I also threw in a tubular heater in case it got too cold and controlled it with an Inkbird. If this is hard to imagine I might have some photos of one which I made back in 2016. I've managed to fit them into tight places as well, like small flats.

This way you can get a good sized fermentation chamber and not have to downsize your setup. I've gone from making 30 litres, to 23, and I miss those 7 litres. I'm now making up to 40 litres so it's all good.

Having said that, I do use an SS Brew Bucket which I really like, not sure if it's the correct dimensions for your setup though. It's stainless steel which is easy to clean and sanitise, conical so the yeast collects nicely at the bottom, and the racking arm is useful for not picking up sediment. I also bottle directly from the conical which has worked great every time. What could be improved is a bottom drain to make yeast removal easier, and bottling from here does come with one or 2 caveats.

Last edited:
Like @foxbat, but I have two BB 72l SS FV's I use an acask 50l keg cooling jacket with them Piped Cooling Jacket (30 Litre) and my sub zero shelf chiller. It all works perfectly for me to crash to 4-5*C with water. Though building the python was a bugger, as I was using the jacket on my 30l kegs in the bar. The only minor niggle I have after a couple of years using them is that the FV legs are a bit wobbly if you need to move them fully loaded (I have to due to layout at the moment) They need a bracing piece, that my builder (ex MOD SS welder!!!) should be sorting after covid :roll:

You could also go the Brew Devil/Guten conical, cheap easy to clean and if you did want to convert it to a pressure vessel you could do that, quite easily, not using the toggle clamps but.
Although I don't know why anyone would want to use pressure during fermentation apart from minimal pressure to carbonate the beer.

Pressure fermenting is quicker. When i got it to work once it was faster , supposidly carbonate the beer whilst brewing. The stout i brewed did have a "placebo" smoother taste.
Its good for neipas as the oxygen starving is good.

Bad points.
Keeping the poxy thing pressure tight!!!
Dry hopping introduces 02.
You will need to monitor the pressure with a spunding valve.
Spending alot of money to acheive the pressure brewing.
I beleive its quite stressful on the yeast also.
When ariving to the end of ferment the last points can take along time to collect due to lack of 02.

It would be interesting to make 1 brew split in two and ferment under pressure and standard. Are they any diffrent.

Latest posts

Back