Stalled fermentaion on a lager!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

real ale rascal

Reaction score
Hello,
I've had a lager fermenting for 7 days now (the instructions say it should take 4-6)
The starting SG was 1038, after 6 days it was 1020! I have kept it at 22 degrees.
It is only a cheap kit lager for the significant other (she will drink it as a shandy, hence why it is a cheap kit)
Any suggestions or advice on how to get it moving again.
Cheers

Hi there,

I bottled the same beer kit at the weekend. It took 11 days to finish fermenting but left it 14 to be on the safe side. Got FG down to 1006. If the bubbles have stopped you can give it a light stir with a sanitised long handled spoon but make sure you don't get oxygen in your brew. I would do a gravity a gravity reading over the next 2 or 3 days and see if its changed at all and then give a stir if it hasn't.

Never had this happen to me so can't talk from experience but read this can be done.

I think you are being impatient. Ignore the instructions as they are always optimistic about timing. Check the gravity again in a couple of days.

Cheers Guys,

I'll wait until the weekend, then check the SG again. I realise I'm being impatient, I've been away from brewing to long and have a want to brew list to get on with!

and have a want to brew list to get on with!

you want to see MY list ! .... :grin:

My wherry got stuck all it needed was a gentle stir and it got it going again the kits always lie I am doing a Caxton lager it says fermentation take 4-6 days I will be leaving it 8 days at least

Back