starsan/saniclean

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
as a family we are planning to got on holiday (Wales)in a few months and while i was putting the little ones bottles in the sterilizer(stream) i though we are going to take the whole thing with us. more space taken up in the cars. i carried on washing up and see my spray bottle of saniclean got me thinking could i get away with taking a few ml of that with me and get a 5L of tesco water when we get there for sterilizing her bottles. i dont like milton as the amount of water is needed and it stinks.

would it work? or am i talking my ****? :wha:

Sanitising isn't the same as sterilising. Sanitising is reducing the number of bacteria down to a non harmful level, sterilising is killing all bacteria.

How old is the little one? After a year we just started washing the bottles out immediately after use (warm water and washing up liquid).

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x554846/whe ... ys-bottles

Not sure if you've booked, but I highly recommend http://www.dolgamedd.co.uk/en/default.aspx

It has a stony river running through the campsite though low enough I've never seen it flood.

It has campfire slabs by the river, so you can have a fire - though she reserves them for her regulars, so get in early!

They have a room up by the main shower block which has microwaves for sterlising etc. All very friendly and a walkable distance to town to the pub if it's not too wet across the fields (though take a compass)

You can get single bottle sterilisers for not much

we are going to somewhere in Carmarthenshire, and camping is not an option with our son at the mo . but thank you

We used something like these any time we went away...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Munchkin-...nsulators_LE&hash=item3cdc02feb1#ht_67wt_1084

These aren't the exact brand that we got but they are exactly the same idea. The neonatal ward handed them out to us, they are what they use for premature babies who are bottle fed so they are up to the standard. Plus they fold up and fit in your pocket so they are very portable. Perfect for travelling.

tim_n said:
Sanitising isn't the same as sterilising. Sanitising is reducing the number of bacteria down to a non harmful level, sterilising is killing all bacteria.

This is very true, but Milton does not sterilise either, and the steam 'steriliser' we used when ours were smaller was in no way an autoclave. :hmm:

I would think you are onto something, but worth investigating further

I have always just washed the bottles out with boiling water, swmbo wasn't to happy when she found out but bambino has never been ill from it.

I've never used starsan and have never even heard of saniclean.

I use Videne, and would assume that if it's good enough for operating theatres it should be plenty good enough for babies' bottles.

Moley said:
I've never used starsan and have never even heard of saniclean.

I use Videne, and would assume that if it's good enough for operating theatres it should be plenty good enough for babies' bottles.

Saniclean is a low foam version of starsan made by the same company . I don't have to worry about it Ny more as the little one will be ayear the week before we go so it's not going to be a problem

Back