Starting AG...Need help with some decisions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 3 Stainless Steel Kegs which I will be starting to use as a HLT, MT and Boiler for my AG setup. I have grinded the tops off the kegs and I am in the process of building a 3 tier gravity fed stand. I plan to insulate the MT obviously but my main decision that I need to make is electric or gas or mixed?

What are the benefits/cons of both and why?

My main thoughts are I will be brewing in my garage which has its own Fused board with 3 twin sockets. I am not sure what Amps this is rated to. Can elements be fitted to two different of the 3 twin sockets or does this not matter as they are wired to the same board? If not, will this significantly slow down my brew day.

I like the idea of electric so I can fit a PID to the HLT for some level of automation regarding reaching strike temps.

Another concern is cost. Is there a significant price difference in using gas to electricity? Will my electricty bill increase significantly if I do a couple of brewdays a month? I ask as I split bills with the mrs and she wont be happy if shes paying extra for my brews.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Personally speaking I'd get my electrics checked by someone who knows what they are on about chances are your garage has its own ring main but I doubt it will cope with both elements running at once you could run an extention from a separate ring in the house

British Gas: 15.1 pence per kWh

1kwh will run a kettle for 20 mins so for 2 electric elements to run for an hour you need 6kwh, so 90p. Add maybe another 60p for HLT and kettle warming up time, you're under £2.

Also, tell 'er to **** off. My missus is obsessed with the tumble dryer.

Dizzle said:
I have 3 Stainless Steel Kegs which I will be starting to use as a HLT, MT and Boiler for my AG setup. I have grinded the tops off the kegs

Because you will, of course, have ensured that you have legal ownership of these kegs before dismantling them, this comment is not directed at you rather to anyone else who may read this thread thinking of embarking on the same kind of build.

The vast majority of kegs in the UK have a legal owner, being one of the breweries. It may be a big one, it may be a struggling micro. If you do not have the paperwork giving you the legal ownership of them, possession is theft regardless of how you came by them and dismantling them is criminal damage.

It is also not the kind of crime that goes unpunished as the industry body Kegwatch, who are members of this and the other brewing fora in the UK, have and do, bring prosecutions against keg thieves.

Thanks guys, most appreciated. Anyone with experience of a gas setup have any input?

Don't forget hair straighteners and blow dryers Rob!

Also, As mentioned in previous posts my kegs are legit. As callumscott rightfully states make sure if you do intend to go the keg AG route that you obtain them from a reputable source!

just my 2ps worth ;)
problems with fitting kegs with elements can arise as the walls are significanlty thicker than the general vessel wall.
to overcome this welding a boss onto the keg into which you can fit simply the element is a good solution but can add to the build complexity and cost if you dont have the welding skills. ive seen diy how to's for using 8% silver solder for SS keg fittings if your more have a go ;) i would go for electric power as once installed correctly its a flip of the switch and it wont run out 1/2 way thru a brew well a black/brown out is statistically unlikely in the UK.

gas is more popular in the states where the electric supply is a lil less dependable and only 110v normally.
try sites like northernbrewer for lots of keg n gas set ups they are all very impressive..

if u keep your element power to below 3kw, you can fit 2 for more power, you can be safe running one element from a 13A ring main, i run 1 element from 1 ring main via extension cord and my 2nd from a separate ring main with a 2nd extension lead very comfortably using 2.5mmsq flex for the leads..

i think kegs make great looking brewpots but i would reconsider using one for the tun, its not gonna look keggy when wrapped up with the insulation needed to maintain a temp, adding active heat is a whole set of other complications, and the amount of pre heating needed to bring the stainless steel mass of the keg upto temp will be a hell of a lot more than the usual off the boil kettle or two full.

thermopot or even a coldbox would imo both save u time,money, and effort on insulation and make the brewday easier, u can always add a rims or herms but better to be free to use it or not than having to use it every brew to just maintain a stable temp. its just something waiting to go wrong..

we like pics in here too, so get snapping ;)

RobWalker said:
Also, tell 'er to **** off. My missus is obsessed with the tumble dryer.

hahahhahah brilliant, nealy ****** myself when I read that :D

Back