Steralizing my equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinson1

Reaction score
Proberly sounds a stupid question but is it as simple as using a milton solution to sterlize my euipment and bottles? Or is there a easier or cheaper way of doing it? Thanks

Using Miltons tablets or fluid is probably the quickest and easiest way to do it as the contact time is only 15 minutes and you don't need to rinse, i would assume all shop bought steriliser is around the same price.

Some brewers use bleach but i don't know how much per gallon of water, you may find the answer in the forum.

I'd caution against not rinsing milton as its chlorine based and if not rinsed, it can react with the beer you make to produce trichlorophenol (TCP!) which had tastes foul!! By all means use it but rinse thoroughly afterwards! If you're concerned about contaminating the vessels and equipment during or after the rinse, you can make up a solution of aqueous iodine from the chemists with water. Its about 8ml per litre water and should look like weak tea.

If you go to a homebrew shop you can get great sterilisers and sanitisers there. I primarily use antiformin and star San now for my cleaning needs.

As this is the wine making forum i assumed the OP was asking about sterilisers for wine making, i am aware of the problems that can be caused by chlorine based steriliser in beer making and would have mentioned it had the OP asked about beer brewing.

No worries, people reading the thread who may be thinking of beer making will find your info helpful :thumb:

Back