Sterilisation of bottle tops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steam brew

Reaction score
Hi all I would like some help , I have never bottled beer or cider before I am happy sterilising bottles but what about the caps ,what cleaner would one use many thanks :cheers:

i use the same as bottles leave them in a bowl of sterilizer for over 10 mins and then place in a bowl of water until needed

I use the wifes cullonder and sit it in a bowl of star san at the side of me when bottling. Take each cap out of the solution just before being used.

Since I've started using Videne and have a bottle tree with a steriliser squirter, I do give them a quick dunk in the Videne reservoir.

Before that, I just used them straight out of the bag.

^^ yea it's pretty unlikely that a beer will go off because of the cap not being sanitized...but I too sanitize anyway, mine all just go in sodium metabi solution until I use them. I think the important bit is to make sure you use a non rinse, or you'll be there all day...

a tip....dont put wet crown caps back into the bag..... ha haa . lump of rust next time I came to use them !!! :oops:

i wash my sink with beech. Rinse it well. Put some chempro in some hot water put the tops in for around 20 mins then give them a good rinse and leave in clean water and just pick them out as i fill

Latest posts

Back