sterlising bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoner0208

Reaction score
hello all
can anyone please help
im using (VWP STERILISER) to sterilise my bottles for the brew do i rince them out after with water or is it ok to let dry then fill with the brew ????

VWP needs to be thoroughly rinsed. I would rinse 3 or 4 times as a minimum.
It is a chlorine based sanitiser.

Yes, rinse thoroughly then leave to dry, once dry put the cap back on and store it for use at a later date. I do this and I have never had a problem.

Just a thought would rinsing them once with a campden solution not be easier (neutralises chlorine and de oxygenates water so helping to keep the bottles sterile)? and it's cheap in powder form!

I have Chemipro Oxy from my LHBS. It doesn't need rinsing and leaves no taste. £8.95 for a big tub which lasts me at least 20 AG brews.

Had anyone used Milton tablets? I have loads left from when we were sterilising bottles for our triplets. It says no rinse and is bactericidal in 5 mins and virucidal in 15 mins.

Be careful with VWP. I have had problems with phenolic off flavours from not rinsing thoroughly.

I now clean with hot water and then sterilise with starsan. Not had a problem since.

Latest posts

Back