Storing Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
My beer shed will be assembled tomorrow. Unfortunately it is not an exciting man cave come brew pub, but in fact a 5' x 3' hut to store my equipment in and avoid further earache.

Just wanted to double check that I'll be ok to store grain in there too? I've bought some plastic storage boxes with lids to keep it in, which I hope will stop it becoming food for something and/or stop it getting damp.

Anyone see any issues I've not thought of?

Just cheap homebase jobbies. Think I'd back rats to chew through most plastics, but I was hoping they'd not not be able to smell it through a sealed bag in a sealed container.

I'm not overly confident though, hence the thread!

I keep my grain indoors. You would be surprised at how devious rats are. If the containers are not air tight then the little S***s will detect the smell and chew their way in..

But you can get some great air rifles nowadays :)

Fwiw I've used a shed since July for storing grain and so far not had any problems. Opened bags I store in plastic tubs. My last bulk order was 50 kilo of pale malt and it was packed in 5 kilo bags I just put it on shelves and nothing has been near it (will be very obvious if the bag damaged).

Just got another delivery and its in 1 paper sack and one of the usual grain type of sacks gonna have to think about how to store these.. Thinking dampness gonna be my biggest problem.

Those drums MyQul suggested, look awfully like the drums curry hoses get their mango chutney in, might be worth asking down your local tandoori!

Those drums MyQul suggested, look awfully like the drums curry hoses get their mango chutney in, might be worth asking down your local tandoori!

They probably are. I know @ManseMasher got some from his local curry house. Don't know if they have the same secure lids though. MM says they were an absolute pig to clean though

That's eactly where I get mine from. They take a bit of cleaning, but hey, they're free....

I've had mice chew their way through thin plastic boxes, though thick stuff, especially if with rounded corners should be OK.
How about small metal dustbins with ziplock bags inside to seal your grains in.

My local pound shop does vacuum bags, you stick your hoover on the valve, suck out the air, hey presto. The biggest one I found will easily take a full 25kg bag of grain. That then goes into my mango chutney barrel.

I regularly get the 30L mango chutney drums when I collect used veg oil for my biodiesel, they will need a scrub but if anyone wants one and can collect from Tring Herts, just let me know.

The lids are screw on rather than clamp top.

Got some chutney barrels myself and by god they take some cleaning! Great when done though. I have 50kg of sugar in one not in a bag just straight in the drum and it's stayed dry and rodent free. It's for beekeeping not brewing in case you wonder why I have that much sugar!

Pressure washer and loads of cheap lidl oxiclean for me. It made me want a curry :)

Btw MM stop encouraging people in the free hop thread my chances of winning are going down :)

Pressure washer and loads of cheap lidl oxiclean for me. It made me want a curry :)

Btw MM stop encouraging people in the free hop thread my chances of winning are going down :)

Made you want a curry?!! Made me chuck......

Lol I didn't sniff it till about half hour into the clean!

My local pound shop does vacuum bags, you stick your hoover on the valve, suck out the air, hey presto. The biggest one I found will easily take a full 25kg bag of grain. That then goes into my mango chutney barrel.

I bought a load of Asda ones yesterday. They had a pack of 5 reduced from £5 to £3 so I stuck em in me trolley.

Latest posts

Back